Built in 1915, the Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute is an historic landmark in the historic Central Area of Seattle. Designed by B. Marcus Priteca, and formerly the Jewish Synagogue of Chevra Biku Cholim, the building became a community center and part of the City of Seattle's facilities in 1972. It underwent extensive renovations in 2011 to preserve its architectural character and update the facilities. It is now a community facility that may be rented for events and community programs. LHPAI partners with the new non-profit LANGSTON to continue being a center for African American arts and culture in Seattle. It is also home to the Central District Forum for Arts & Ideas and The Historic Central Area Arts and Cultural District.
LHPAI can be accessed at the East Yesler Way and 17th Avenue South bus stop for bus route #27.
LHPAI offers a variety of options for parking free of charge. Street parking is available along with parking lots on the northeast corner of East Yesler Way and 17th Avenue South. There is additional parking behind the building in the southeast parking lot.