The Dressmaker: Closing Night Gala
Closing Night Gala | June 12 | Film: Cinerama | Party: MOHAI
Kate Winslet, Liam Hemsworth, and Judy Davis star in this hysterically madcap adaptation of the beloved novel about a chic 1950s dressmaker who returns from Paris to her small Australian town to right the wrongs of the past and revolutionize the local couture.
Closing Night Gala: The Dressmaker | June 12 | Film: Cinerama | Party: MOHAI
Give the month-long Festival a proper send-off by attending the Closing Night Gala at the Museum of History and Industry. Following the film, enjoy tasty hors d'oeuvres, desserts, and cocktails while celebrating another fabulous Festival with our community!
Based on Rosalie Ham's debut novel of the same name, The Dressmaker is director Jocelyn Moorhouse's (Proof, A Thousand Acres) vengeful return to cinema. The film follows the journey of Myrtle Dunnage (Kate Winslet, Titanic, The Reader) to her small Australian hometown, 25 years after she was exiled after being accused of the murder of a young schoolboy. Now back to care for her aging mother Molly (Judy Davis, My Brilliant Career), Myrtle, under the new alias “Tilly,” creates havoc in the town, due partly to her extravagant fashion and dressmaking profession and partly to a series of coincidental events. She falls in love with Teddy McSwiney (Liam Hemsworth, The Hunger Games), and the two set out to solve the quarter-century-old crime to which Myrtle had been the only witness. The Dressmaker is a manic murder mystery, packed with humor and exorbitant fashion, leaving the audience giggling and captivated at the edge of their seats.
Jocelyn Moorhouse is a director, producer, and screenwriter from Victoria, Australia. She graduated from the Australian Film, Television and Radio School in 1984, where she met her husband and film collaborator P.J. Hogan, and later went on to produce his film Muriel's Wedding (1994). In 1991 she made her directorial debut with Proof, now widely recognized as an essential contemporary Australian film.
Sponsored by Francis Ford Coppola Winery, OSKA, Brotherton Cadillac Buick GMC, The Boeing Company, MOHAI, Cinerama, Amazon Studios
- Director: Jocelyn Moorhouse
- Principal Cast: Kate Winslet, Liam Hemsworth, Judy Davis, Hugo Weaving
- Country: Australia
- Year: 2015
- Running Time: 118 minutes
- Producer: Sue Maslin
- Screenplay: Jocelyn Moorhouse
- Cinematographers: Don McAlpine
- Editors: Jill Bilcock
- Music: David Hirschfelder
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards 2016 (Best Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Costume Design, People's Choice Award for Favorite Australian Film)
- Filmography: Unconditional Love (2002); A Thousand Acres (1997); How to Make an American Quilt (1995); Proof (1991); Pavane (1983)
- Language: English
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Amazon Studios
- International Sales: Embankment Films