Taking on unprecedented responsibility, 27-year-old New York City Ballet dancer Tiler Peck brought "Ballet Now" to life in Los Angeles last summer as both director and lead performer. This inspiring documentary follows the prodigy's many roles and tribulations as she singlehandedly prepares for the curtains to draw on her show.
A tip and a tap, the spin and pirouette, live orchestra melodies ebb and flow with the bodies of the stage performers, thus a dance performance made up of several individual pieces and moving parts comes together as a symbiotic whole. This was "Ballet Now" at the Los Angeles Music Center last summer. Dozens of dancers from ballet, hip-hop, and tap from around the world came together for a weekend-long program, the kind of project typically curated by, well, a curator. Lead dancer Tiler Peck, principal performer of the New York City Ballet, spearheaded the immense project on her own. Steven Cantor's graceful documentary follows Peck on her journey in this all-encompassing role as director and lead performer. From recruiting dancers to discussing the finer points of musical cohesion with the Los Angeles Philharmonic conductor, her task is typically undertaken by several people, but out of sheer talent and determination, she proves it more than possible. Her modern program runs the gamut of contemporary dance and even clownship in a duet with famed Emmy-winning actor, clown, and "Sesame Street" regular Bill Irwin. Ballet Now is a pure tribute to the raw talent, ingenuity, and passion of artists from so many disciplines working together to create a profound act of harmony.
Steven Cantor founded the New York based film production company Stick Figure Productions in 1999. His short first feature Blood Ties: The Life of Sally Mann (1994) received an Academy Award® nomination for Best Documentary Short. Since then he's directed and produced numerous TV documentaries and episodes. Recently, he produced Amanda Lipitz' critically lauded dance documentary Step (SIFF 2017).
Sponsored by Vulcan Productions, Brotherton Cadillac Buick GMC in Renton
- Director: Steven Cantor
- Principal Cast: Tiler Peck, Bill Irwin, Michelle Dorrance, Virgil Gadson, Byron Tittle, Zachary Catazaro, Preston Chamblee, Isabella Boylston, Indiana Woodward, Marc Moreau, Claire Kretzschmar, Lauren King, Rachel Hutsell, Taylor Stanley, Harrison Coll
- Premiere Status: World
- Country: USA
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 75 minutes
- Producer: Paul G. Allen, Elisabeth Moss, Steven Cantor, Jamie Schutz, Jannat Gargi
- Editors: Anna Pinchuk
- Music: B.C. Smith, featuring songs by Sylvan Esso
- Filmography: Satori (doc 2018), Dancer (doc 2016), No One Dies in Lily Dale (doc 2011), James Blunt: Return to Kosovo (doc 2007), What Remains (doc 2005), Endsville (2000), Bounce: Behind the Velvet Rope (doc 2000), Blood Ties: The Life and Work of Sally Mann (doc 1994)
- Language: English
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Dogwoof