Michelin Stars: Tales from the Kitchen
All chefs dream of the distinction of receiving the coveted Michelin star, but who decides this peculiar rating and what is the criteria for obtaining one? More than a baker's dozen of the world's top-rated chefs dish on the pros and cons of the punishing star system that has given them extreme joy-and nervous breakdowns.
You might think that the hole-in-the wall burger joint down the street or even your grandmother's kitchen create food so unmistakenly delicious that they deserve to be Michelin Star rated. But what exactly are the requirements for this age-old, controversial rating system? As of 2016 there are 119 3 Michelin Star restaurants, and each of them have proven to provide an unforgettable dining experience. This documentary visits several starred restaurants around the globe and dives tastebuds-first into the unique characteristics that help them take the cake: consistency, quality of ingredients, mastery of technique, harmony in flavor, and food that portrays the unique personality of those that cook it. Chefs from Paris, New York City, Tokyo, and Copenhagen among others reveal what being Michelin-rated means to their career and culinary identity, and the importance of experience and emotion in fine dining. Delicious and beautiful behind-the-scenes footage at restaurants such as Noma and Narisawa are paired with discussions on the politics of these reviews, from those who have maintained the coveted Stars and those who try, year after year, to earn one.
An avid traveler, food enthusiast, and soccer fan, Danish writer and director Rasmus Dinesen's body of work includes feature documentaries, music videos, television series, commercials and short films. Dinesen also currently serves as an instructor at The Danish Film Institute.
Sponsored by Seattle Met, Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery, Wild Ginger
- Director: Rasmus Dinesen
- Principal Cast: Guy Savoy, Alain Ducasse, Andoni Luis Aduriz, Victor Arguinzoniz, Rene Redzepi
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Denmark
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 82 minutes
- Producer: Jesper Jarl Becker
- Screenplay: Jesper Jarl Becker, Rasmus Dinesen, Carsten Holst
- Cinematographers: Rasmus Dinesen, Jesper Jarl Becker
- Editors: Thomas Papapetros, Martin Munck Schmidt
- Music: Rune Funch
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Hugo På Bas (2016); Verdens bedste kok (2011); Det forbudte landshold (2003)
- Language: English, French, Spanish, Danish, Japanese
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Juno Films
- International Sales: Juno Films