Danish actress/musician Trine Dyrholm embodies fashion icon, Warhol muse, and The Velvet Underground chanteuse Nico as she travels through Europe during the final years of her life, unleashing inventive, melancholic new music as a solo artist while also battling addiction and attempting to reconnect with her troubled son.
Telling the life story of an icon is never an easy task, but writer/director Susanna Nicchiarelli manages to melt her own adoration into a perfect biopic on the last years in the life on Christa Paffgen, a.k.a. Nico: lead singer of the iconic band The Velvet Underground, a muse to Andy Warhol and Lou Reed, and a beauty all her own. The final two years of her life are told as a road movie—from Prague to Paris, from Manchester to Rome, and finally to Ibiza—as she struggles with addiction, tours scruffy concert venues, and tries to reconnect with her long-absent, at-risk teenage son. Trine Dyrholm (Festen, Love Is All You Need) embodies the infamous woman that has left her "goddess of darkness" fame behind, a woman who finally finds relief and happiness in her art only after losing her stunning beauty. A deeply feminine film, Nico, 1988 lets the music lead the narrative, relaying the legacy of a spectacular but strange life. We must be thankful to Nico –and to Nicchiarelli—for such a gift.
Educated in Directing at the National Film School in Rome, Susanna Nivchiarelli's body of work consists of several documentaries, short films, and features. She is the recipient of eight major awards, among them the 2017 Venice Film Festival Horizons award for Best Film for her work on NICO, 1988 as well as Best First Feature at the Golden Ciak Awards for COSMONAUTA (2009).
Sponsored by KEXP 90.3 FM, Lux Pot Shop
- Director: Susanna Nicchiarelli
- Principal Cast: Trine Dyrholm, John Gordon Sinclair, Anamaria Marinca, Sandor Funtek, Thomas Trabacchi
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Italy, USA
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 93 minutes
- Producer: Marta Donzelli, Gregorio Paonessa, Joseph Rouschop, Valérie Bournonville
- Screenplay: Susanna Nicchiarelli
- Cinematographers: Crystel Fournier
- Editors: Stefano Cravero
- Music: Gatto Ciliegia
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Per tutta la vita (2014); La scoperta dell'alba (2012); Cosmonaut (2009); The Last Sentry (2007) ; Uomini e zanzare (2005); Il terzo occhio (2003)
- Language: Italian
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
- International Sales: Celluloid Dreams