Ana Urushadze (daughter of Zaza Urushadze, famed director of the Oscar®-nominated Tangerines) makes a remarkable debut feature about a woman's struggle to become a novelist against her own family's wishes. A fascinating feminist drama and psychological thriller about creative compulsion.
"The cast deliver expressive, haunted faces and intense, prickly performances." Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter
Scary Mother is a journey into the life of a writer at a crossroads. Writer and mother Manana (Nato Murvanidze) can't stop writing; she will write on her hands and arms if there's no paper. She also sees cryptic literary messages on her bathroom tiles, so it's not surprising that she's having a hard time caring for her family; her three kids and husband are concerned, then outraged when she reads them a page of the novel she is working on. However, the local stationary store owner is convinced that she is a taboo-breaking genius. Furthermore, Manana's father, an editor and translator, also thinks the writing is ingeniously obscene until he realizes that it is his daughter's work. Debut director Ana Urushadze's imaginative, humorous, and unsettling thriller dares to push a writer past the brink and weaves us in and out of Manana's acts of rebellion, ones that will lead to serious consequences. Masterfully perceived and crafted in the urban environment of Tbilisi, Scary Mother reveals a brave and audacious debut that pokes at the very foundations of patriarchy.
Born in Tbilisi, Georgia, Ana Urushadze is a 27-year-old film writer and director. She is describes her writing process as an essential element to directing, engulfing herself in the words and at times avoiding the outside world to fully picture how a scene should play out. Her debut feature, Scary Mother , has been selected as Georgia's Official Submission for the Academy Awards'® Best Foreign Language Film category for 2018.
Sponsored by Red Element Studios
- Original Language Title: Sashishi deda
- Director: Ana Urushadze
- Principal Cast: Nata Murvanidze, Ramaz Ioseliani, Dimitri Tatishvili, Avtandil Makharadze
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Georgia, Estonia
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 107 minutes
- Producer: Lasha Khalvashi, Tinatin Kajrishvili, Ivo Felt
- Screenplay: Mindia Esadze
- Cinematographers: Konstantin Esadze
- Editors: Alexander Kuranov
- Music: Nika Pasuri
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Locarno International Film Festival 2017 (Swatch First Feature Award) Official Oscar® Submission 2018 (Foreign Language Film) San Francisco International Film Festival 2018 (GGA New Directors Award winner)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Georgian
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP