A Good Week for Democracy
Take a trip to Sweden's idyllic island province of Gotland for a sharp, humorous and unsentimental examination of Almedalen Week, an annual event where thousands of politicians, lobbyists, and citizens gather for the ultimate showcase of political theatre.
Director Cecilia Bjork has created an arresting visual time stamp of society and democracy in her feature film debut, A Good Week for Democracy. Shot over three years during Sweden's famous annual summertime political-fest known as Almedalen Week, Bjork set out to chronicle the pride of Swedish democracy in its most dense microcosm where anything goes and the candidate with the loudest presence wins. Looking for new images of politics, beyond the live broadcasts and sensational headlines, Bjork asked, "How is society formed by the images media creates?" as she trained her camera on the performance aspect of politics when media attention is the currency of the day. Employing a less-is-more approach, Bjork's minimalistic style is at once both critical and humorous. allowing her subjects to speak for themselves through actions instead of sound bytes, entertainment instead of format, and popularity rather than punditry. A shockingly raw examination of modern democracy, A Good Week for Democracy was produced in collaboration with Producers Axel Danielson and Maximilien Van Aertryck of Plattform Produktion (The Square, Cannes Palm D'Or Winner, 2017, Force Majeure, 2014). A Good Week for Democracy is a SIFF New Works-in-Progress Forum 2017 documentary.
Cecilia Bjork is a Swedish filmmaker, scriptwriter and poet whose documentary SALIGA (Blessed) (2014) premiered at the Gothenburg International Film Festival. Along with her most recent work, A Good Week for Democracy, she is a writer, and continues to serve as an advisor on Plattform Produktion films.
Sponsored by KCTS 9
- Original Language Title: En bra vecka for demokratin
- Director: Cecilia Bjork
- Principal Cast: Alice Bah Kuhnke, Ebba Busch Thor, Ylva Johansson, Tobias Andersson, Lotta Bouvin-Sundberg
- Premiere Status: North American
- Country: Sweden
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 76 minutes
- Producer: Maximilien Van Aertryck, Axel Danielson
- Screenplay: Cecilia Bjork
- Cinematographers: Maximilien Van Aertryck, Axel Danielson
- Editors: Maximilien Van Aertryck, Cecilia Bjork
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Swedish, English, Finnish, Swedish Sign Language
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP