Another Day of Life
Animation and documentary footage combine in this tale of the chaos and devastation of the 1975 Angolan civil war, based on journalist Ryszard Kapuscinski's book.
"A punchy, spectacular hagiographic hybrid."—The Hollywood Reporter
Arriving in a land of chaos, carnage, and what the locals simply call "confusao," hard-living Polish Press Agency reporter Ryszard (Richard) Kapuscinski has an almost pathological need to throw himself into the world's deadliest conflicts—as much a means of processing his own experiences growing up in a devastated post-WWII Poland as simply doing the job he was trained to do. Touching down in the Angolan capital of Luanda just as Portugal withdraws after 500 years of colonial rule—and leaving the anarchy of a bloody civil war in its wake—the embittered journalist eagerly rushes into the madness on a journey that spells almost certain death, immediately setting out to the war's Southern Front to meet infamous rebel leader Comandante Farrusco. But with fellow journalist Artur in tow, Kapuscinski quickly breaks his journalistic vows and commits himself to recording the lives of those nameless victims of war caught between forces larger than themselves, the faceless and the forgotten who want nothing more than to live in peace, in this powerful dreamscape of live action and brilliant, color-saturated animation from co-directors Raul de la Fuente and Damian Nenow.
— Hebe Tabachnik
An award-winning director and writer, Raul de la Fuente has travelled to over two dozen nations as a filmmaker and documentarian. His debut documentary feature Nömadak Tx was selected by over 150 film festivals, receiving 17 honors, and his documentary short Minerita (2013), along with being shortlisted for an Academy Award® at the 88th Oscars, won a Goya Award. Another Day of Life (2018) is Raul de la Fuente's first narrative feature.
A graduate of the National Film School in Lodz, Damian Nenow is a director of animation whose work includes short films, video games, commercials, and documentaries. His third short animation, Paths of Hate (2010), was selected by over 90 film festivals and netted 25 awards and honors. For the hybrid documentary Another Day of Life (2018), co-directed with Raul de la Fuente, Nenow helmed the 3D animation.
Sponsored by Consulate General of Poland in Los Angeles, Redbox, Seattle Polish Film Festival
- Original Language Title: Jeszcze dzien zycia
- Director: Raul de la Fuente, Damian Nenow
- Principal Cast: Wilson Benedito, Ryszard Kapuscinski, Akie Kotabe
- Country: Poland, Spain, Benelux, Germany, Hungary
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 85 minutes
- Producer: Jarek Sawko, Ole Wendorff-Ostergaard, Amaia Remirez, Raul de la Fuente
- Screenplay: Raul de la Fuente, David Weber, Amaia Remirez, Niall Johnson, Damian Nenow
- Cinematographers: Raul de la Fuente, Gorka Gomez Andreu
- Editors: Raul de la Fuente
- Music: Mikel Salas
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Goya Awards 2019 (Best Animated Film); European Film Awards 2018 (Best Animated Feature Film); San Sebastian International Film Festival 2018 (Audience Award, Best Basque Screenplay); Wama Film Festival 2018 (Audience Award); Reanimania Int. Animation and Comics Art. Festival 2018 (Best Feature Film); El-Gouna Film Festival 2018 (Audience Award)
- Filmography: de la Fuente: I Am Haiti (Doc., 2014); Nomadak Tx (Doc., 2006) | Nenow: Debut Feature Film
- Language: English, Portuguese, Polish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Indie Sales