Three dysfunctional siblings journey back to the Turkish village of their birth to help their estranged father fulfill his dying wish in this wildly inventive, explosive, and bittersweet family comedy. Winner of the World Cinema Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival.
"But here is a film that has numerous genuinely funny moments, that are universal, despite the language barrier." Vladan Petkovic - Cineuropa
Adult siblings Cemal, Kenan, and Suzan haven't stayed in touch. But when their father issues a mysterious summons, the three reunite for a road trip that will take them back to their home village, into the origins of their estrangement, and toward a possible reconciliation. Cemal is an astronaut long settled in Germany; Kenan, a hapless actor reduced to dubbing cat videos; and Suzan, a teacher ready to leave her self-centered husband. It is Cemal who seeks out his younger siblings and, overcoming their resistance, convinces them to make the journey. Aided by booze and music from their youth, they get to know one another again, reviving old arguments, but also the pleasures of a shared past. Although none of them have seen their father in 30 years, it is their reconnection with each other that is at the heart of the film. Winner of the World Cinema Grand Jury Prize at Sundance, this affecting and infinitely relatable story of family dysfunction is enhanced by the absurdist humor that director Tolga Karacelic finds both in their familial dynamic and in the world that surrounds them.
After getting a law degree at Marmara University in his native country of Turkey, Tolga Karacelik moved to New York City to study film. His feature film debut Toll Booth (2010) played at more than 30 film festivals including Sundance.
Sponsored by Turkish American Cultural Association of WA, Seattle Turkish Film Festival
- Original Language Title: Kelebekler
- Director: Tolga Karacelik
- Principal Cast: Tolga Tekin, Bartu Kucukcaglayan, Tugce Altug, Serkan Keskin, Hakan Karsak
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Turkey
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 117 minutes
- Producer: Tolga Karacelik, Diloy Gulun, Metin Anter
- Screenplay: Tolga Karacelik
- Cinematographers: Andac Sahan
- Editors: Evren Lus
- Music: Ahmet Kenan Bilgic
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Sundance Film Festival 2018 (World Cinema Grand Jury Prize)
- Filmography: Ivy (2015); 60 Seconds of Solitude in Year Zero (2011); Toll Booth (2010)
- Language: Turkish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Films Boutique