Alluring, angelic and completely amoral, baby-faced robber Carlos Robledo Puch, aka “Blondie,” quickly moves from breaking and entering to murder, alongside handsome career criminal Ramón, soon becoming Argentina’s most wanted, feared, and infamous outlaw.
With his cascade of lush blond locks and a sexy, slinky, denim-clad swagger, baby-faced 19-year-old Carlitos (newcomer Lorenzo Ferro in a star-making performance) seems to be the picture of innocence itself, a heaven-sent gift whose biggest crime is being an eternal tease to women and men alike. But behind his angelic face lies a soullessness that thinks nothing of breaking into whichever home he pleases and taking whatever he wants; for "Blondie," as he's colloquially known, robbery and theft come as naturally as breathing. When this self-proclaimed "gift from God" befriends handsome, troubled criminal-in-training Ramon (Chino Darin), the pair quickly move from breaking and entering to cold-blooded murder, earning the wide-eyed outlaw the nickname "Angel of Death" and leaving a bloody swath of terror throughout early-'70s Buenos Aires; he became Argentina's most wanted, feared, and infamous outlaw. Luis Ortega, co-writer and director, portrays this young delinquent without complexes in a sarcastic, irrepressible way in his new film executive-produced by Pedro Almodovar. It is near impossible not to get swept up in the adrenaline of this irreverent gem.
Argentinian filmmaker Luis Ortega was born in Buenos Aires in 1980 and studied film at the Universidad el Cine. His 2002 debut feature Black Box, which he wrote at the age of 19, won the SIGNIS Award at the Mar del Plata film Festival, while his 2014 film, Lulu, screened at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Sponsored by The Stranger
- Original Language Title: El Ángel
- Director: Luis Ortega
- Principal Cast: Lorenzo Ferro, Chino Darin, Mercedes Moran, Daniel Fanego, Luis Gnecco
- Country: Argentina, Spain
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 126 minutes
- Producer: Pedro Almodovar, Agustin Almodovar, Hugo Sigman, Sebastian Ortega
- Screenplay: Luis Ortega, Rodolfo Palacios, Sergio Olguin
- Cinematographers: Julian Apezteguia
- Editors: Guillermo Gatti
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Official Oscar® Submission 2019 (Foreign Language Film), FEST International Film Festival 2019 (Jury Prize), Havana Film Festival 2018 (Best Actor), Fenix Film Awards 2018 (Best Actor)
- Filmography: Lulu (2014); Dromomanos (2012); Damn Summer (2011); The Dirty Saints (2009); Monobloc (2005); Black Box (2002)
- Language: Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: 1091 Media
- International Sales: Film Factory Entertainment