Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
A gothic horror fable punctuated by moments of outrageous dark humor unfolds deep in the forest of 19th century Basque Country, where a government official and an orphaned girl find themselves at a sinister blacksmith's workshop housing a terrible secret. Produced by Álex de la Iglesia.
From producer Alex de la Iglesia comes Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil , an unholy new horror-comedy that harkens back to The Day of The Beast (SIFF 1998). Eight years after the First Carlist War, Alfredo Ortiz, a meek official from Madrid, arrives in a remote Basque village to investigate a cache of gold that disappeared during the conflict. His inquiries center around Paxti, a masked, hermit-like blacksmith, who resides in a forbidding, heavily fortified forge on the village outskirts. It is here that Usue, an impetuous orphan girl, goes in search of her favorite doll's head, pitched over the wall by a trio of bullies. Instead, she finds a grimy boy imprisoned in a wrought iron cage, who begs for her to free him. Usue agrees to help, unaware of the child's fiendish true nature; meanwhile, the villagers gather outside the smithy's gate to demand the missing gold from the ogreish blacksmith, all of which leads to a confrontation that will culminate at the gates of Hell. Beautifully weaving together elements of dark fairy tale, Faustian legend, and the Gothic, director Paul Urkijo Alijo's feature film debut evokes Ibero-historical horrors such as The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage, but with a wicked, sardonic wit all its own.
First-time Spanish feature director Paul Urkjio Aljio's interest in drawing and comics inspired his passion for filmmaking. As a child and to this day, his specific interest lies within the fantasy genre. He graduated with a fine arts degree in 2008 and has been writing and developing multiple animated shorts prior to the production of Errementati.
Sponsored by Scarecrow Video, Accion Cultural Espanola, Honorary Consulate of Spain in Seattle
- Original Language Title: Errementari
- Director: Paul Urkijo Alijo
- Principal Cast: Kandido Uranga, Eneko Sagardoy, Uma Bracaglia, Ramon Aguirre, Gorka Aguinagalde
- Premiere Status: North American
- Country: Spain, France
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 99 minutes
- Producer: Álex de la Iglesia, Luis de Oza, Carolina Bang, Gorka Gomez Andreu, Kiko Martinez, Miguel Angel Jiminez, Ortzi Acosta, Paul Urkijo Alijo
- Screenplay: Paul Urkijo Alijo, Asier Guerricaechevarria,
- Cinematographers: Gorka Gomez Andreu
- Editors: Paul Urkijo Alijo
- Music: Pascal Gaigne
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Old Basque
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Filmax International