A shy young teenage boy on summer vacation in Canada comes of age the hard way when he falls for the outgoing, older Chloe in the gorgeous and haunting directorial debut from actress Charlotte Le Bon (The Hundred-Foot Journey).
They say that all first love stories are ghost stories. Canadian actor-turned-director Charlotte Le Bon explores this idea with an eerie sense of foreboding in her first feature, Falcon Lake. There is a wonderful collision of genres in this atmospheric cottagecore gothic that breathes new life into coming of age tropes. This story about the spark between two kindred spirits is infused with the moody 16mm visuals and menacing score of a horror film. Set amidst the lush greenery and dark, shimmering lakes of the Canadian backcountry, the film follows two teenagers whose families are sharing a cottage for the summer. In many ways, the film's tone is a reflection of the macabre interests and darker impulses of 16-year-old Chloé (Sara Montpetit), a witchy eccentric who is preoccupied with stories about a girl who died at the lake. Not quite 14-year-old Bastien (Joseph Engel) is a thoughtful and quick-witted original of his own who is instantly drawn to Chloé's energy. Despite the chasm of their age difference, Chloé finds herself won over by Bastien's insight and charm. Soon enough, the two of them are off ghost hunting, staging morbid re-enactments, and baring their souls. Both young actors bring incredible depth and dimension to their roles and together they have undeniable chemistry. It's the kind of relationship that, although fleeting, leaves an indelible mark. You won't soon forget this stirring debut which is equal parts touching and haunting.
- Director: Charlotte Le Bon
- Principal Cast: Joseph Engel, Sara Montpetit, Monia Chokri, Arthur Igual
- Country: Canada, France
- Year: 2022
- Running Time: 101 min.
- Producer: David Gauquié, Julien Deris, Sylvain Corbeil, Nancy Grant, Jalil Lespert, Dany Boon, Jean-Luc Ormières
- Screenplay: Charlotte Le Bon, François Choquet
- Cinematographers: Kristof Brandl
- Editors: Julie Léna
- Music: Stephen de Oliveira, Séverin Favriau, Stéphane Thiébaut
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Bucharest International Film Festival 2022 (Best Film), Chicago International Film Festival 2022 (Best Film, New Directors Competition), Vancouver International Film Festival 2022 (Best Emerging Canadian Director)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: French, English
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- US Distributor: Yellow Veil Pictures
- International Sales: Memento International