Brillante Mendoza (a Cannes winner for his 2009 film Kinatay) directs this class-conscious family drama of guilt, repentance, and forgiveness about a fatal hit-and-run and the ripples it sends through two families of different means.
A lush and intimate exploration of the social fabric of the Philippines told through food, family, and faith. In Feast, two families become entangled when a hit and run accident leaves complex wounds in their lives. We witness the consequences of the accident and a healing process of truth and reconciliation as the two families engage and become involved in each other's lives. Throughout the film, food and Christian traditions provide a rich backdrop for the action, illustrating the texture of life in the Philippines. Director Brillante Mendoza, who was the first Filipino to win Best Director at Cannes Film Festival in 2009 for his film Kinatay, portrays the human story in Feast naturalistically; the depiction of emotions and family dynamics is straightforward, allowing the film to illustrate broader multi-generational dynamics of wealth and class. Feast tells a simple morality tale and warmly and gently illuminates the rich culture of the country, instructing us on how to heal and how to love.
- Original Language Title: Apag
- Director: Brillante Mendoza
- Principal Cast: Coco Martin, Gladys Reyes, Lito Lapid, Jaclyn Jose
- Premiere Status: North American
- Country: Hong Kong
- Year: 2022
- Running Time: 104 min.
- Producer: Brillante Mendoza
- Screenplay: Arianna Martinez
- Cinematographers: Rap Ramirez
- Editors: Ysabelle Denoga
- Music: Jake Abella
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Gensan Punch (2021), Mindano (2019), Ma Rosa (2016), Trap (2015), The Womb (2012), Lola (2009), Kinatay (2009)
- Language: Tagalog/Kapampangan
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- International Sales: HKIFF Collection