The latest from Q (Gandu) is a ferocious, taboo-breaking exposé of the heart of darkness within India's fanatic nationalist movement, represented by a deranged internet troll who kidnaps and brutally enslaves women, until one of them drastically changes the rules and enacts violent revenge.
"Although the events are dangerously true," Garbage's opening legend intones, "this is a work of fiction." With a pulsing energy and a ferocious call to arms to dismantle the world of violent men, this taboo-breaking thriller from Indian provocateur Q (2010's Gandu, infamously banned in its country of origin) refuses to play nice. Phanishwar (Tanmay Dhanania) is a Goa-based taxi driver who leads a sick secret life: he spews vile bits of hate speech online, all in the name of a controversial guru and cult leader, and keeps a mute female slave (Satarupa Das) chained up in his apartment to serve his every need. One day, the driver stops by the airport and picks up Rami (Trimala Adhikari), a medical student who's arrived at this coastal party town to escape her life. After stalking her on social media, Phanishwar discovers what has her so frazzled—her ex-boyfriend has posted a sex tape, starring her and two men, and it's going viral on social media—and a downward spiral begins, pulling everything into the driver's pathetic, destructive orbit. GARBAGE is an assaultive, psychedelic experience that dismantles everything from India's religious-military right to a sex-obsessed media, marking Q as one of his country's wildest, most unpredictable filmmakers.
Qaushiq Mukherjee (known as "Q") is an Indian director who grew up in Kolkata. After working in advertising, he moved into filmmaking with Bishh (2009). His next film Gandu (2010) caused some controversy in India due to language and scenes of nudity and sex. His film Brahman Naman (2016) was the first Asian original film from Netflix.
Sponsored by KING 5
- Director: Q (Qaushiq Mukherjee)
- Principal Cast: Tanmay Dhanania, Trimala Adhikari, Satarupa Das, Gitanjali Dang, Shruti Viswan
- Premiere Status: North American
- Country: India
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 105 minutes
- Producer: Shaailesh R. Singh, Hansal Mehta, Q (Qaushiq Mukherjee)
- Screenplay: Q (Qaushiq Mukherjee)
- Cinematographers: Q (Qaushiq Mukherjee)
- Editors: Hina Saiyada
- Music: Neel Adhikari, Rogue Atari
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Brahman Naman (2016); X: Past Is Present (2015); Ludo (2015); I Want to Be an American (Doc) (2013); Tasher Desh (2012); Gandu (2010); Love in India (Doc) (2009); Bishh (2009)
- Language: Hindi, English
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Wide Management