A struggling caregiver is hired by a pregnant woman in a posh São Paulo high-rise and discovers that her employer has a voracious appetite for meat and unsettling urges during full moons, in an unpredictable werewolf allegory about Brazil's social inequalities that doesn't skimp on the genre goods.
Clara, a lonely, dark-skinned Brazilian woman living in a Sao Paulo favela, can barely pay her rent. However, her fortunes improve when she answers an ad to be a live-in nanny for the wealthy and beautiful Ana. Despite a bungled interview on Clara's part, Ana decides to hire her. Clara moves in even though the baby's birth is still weeks away. Soon she begins to perform all of the household's domestic duties, as a friendship develops between the two, slowly deepening into something more intimate. Yet, all is not well with Ana. She walks in her sleep, her appetite grows and wanes with the full moon, and mysterious circumstances shroud her baby's conception and the father's identity. When Ana finally delivers her child, Clara must make an irrevocable decision, one that will forever alter her life. Co-written and directed by Juliana Rojas and Marco Dutra, Good Manners is a dark, gothic fairy tale—drawing equal parts inspiration from Angela Carter, Jacques Tourneur, and John Landis—meticulously blending reality and fantasy into an unforgettably chimerical film while also exploring the economic and social inequalities endemic throughout modern day Brazil.
Graduate of the School of Communications and Arts of the University of Sao Paulo, Marco Dutra is a director, screenwriter and composer best known for his solo work, The Silence of the Sky (2016) and films with partner Juliana Rojas, The White Sheet (2004) and Hard Labor (2011). His passion lies in horror and fantasy, as his trademarks include supernatural forces invading domestic and emotional spaces.
Juliana Rohas graduated the University of Sao Paulo with fellow director Marco Dutra and a specialization in film editing, screenwriting, and sound design. Her partnership with Dutra has continued on in films like, Lenco Branco (2004), Um Ramo (2007) and Good Manners (2017). Her work is consistent with incorporating fantastic elements into urban life.
Sponsored by Scarecrow Video, Dexter Hayes Apartments
- Original Language Title: As Boas Maneiras
- Director: Marco Dutra, Juliana Rojas
- Principal Cast: Isabel Zuaa, Marjorie Estiano, Miguel Lobo, Cida Moreira, Andrea Marquee
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Brazil, France
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 135 minutes
- Producer: Sara Silveira, Maria Ionescu, Clement Duboin, Frederic Corvez
- Screenplay: Juliana Rojas, Marco Dutra
- Cinematographers: Rui Pocas
- Editors: Caetano Gotardo
- Music: Juliana Rojas, Marco Dutra, Guilherme Garbato, Gustavo Garbato
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Locarno International Film Festival 2017 (Special Jury Prize), Sitges International Film Festival 2017 (Jury Award, Special Mention for Best Actress), Rio International Film Festival 2017 (Best Film, Supporting Actress, Cinematography, FIRPRESCI Award, Felix Award for LGBTQ Film)
- Filmography: Dutra:; The Silence of the Sky (2016) ; When I Was Alive (2014); Hard Labor (2011); ; Rojas:; Necropolis Symphony (2014); Hard Labour (2011)
- Language: Portuguese
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Distrib Films US
- International Sales: Urban Distribution International