A thrilling love story about a shy twentysomething online erotic worker, famous for his neon paint-slathered blacklight dances, who ventures out of his comfort zone to defend his space as a performer and finds unexpected tenderness in the heart of an unforgiving city.
Living in the shadow of a devastating nightclub attack and its ongoing legal aftermath, emotionally withdrawn Pedro (newcomer Shico Menegat) finds connection to the outside world as "Neon Boy," an online erotic performer whose neon paint-slathered blacklight dances have won him a legion of adoring fans. But when his older sister Luiza (Guega Peixoto) leaves him alone in their Porto Alegre apartment in order to take a job in another city, and Pedro discovers "Boy25" has stolen his trademark performing techniques, the shy twentysomething must venture far outside his comfort zone in order to defend his space as a performer. He soon discovers a shared connection with the outgoing and ambitious Leo (Bruno Fernandes) and an unexpected tenderness in the heart of an unforgiving city. In this Berlinale Teddy- and CICAE award-winning film, co-directors Filipe Matzembacher and Marco Reolon perfectly portray the loneliness of diversity and the suffocation of a dehumanizing landscape, combining urban thriller elements with a love story that slowly and sweetly reveals itself and never leaning too far into the morbidity that often needlessly accompanies sex worker narratives.
Filipe Matzembacher is a Brazilian writer and director. His feature film debut Seashore (which he co-directed with Marcio Reolon) premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2015. Born in Brazil, Marcio Reolon studied film directing at the Pontificia Universidade Catolica. He co-founded (along with collaborator Filipe Matzembacher) the production company Avante Films.
Sponsored by KING 5
- Original Language Title: Tinta Bruta
- Director: Filipe Matzembacher, Marcio Reolon
- Principal Cast: Shico Menegat, Bruno Fernandes, Guega Peixoto, Sandra Dani, Frederico Vasques
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Brazil
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 119 minutes
- Producer: Filipe Matzembacher, Jessica Luz, Marcio Reolon
- Screenplay: Filipe Matzembacher, Marcio Reolon
- Cinematographers: Glauco Firpo
- Editors: Germano de Oliveira
- Music: Felipe Puperi
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Berlin International Film Festival 2018 (Teddy Award for Best Feature) Guadalajara International Film Festival 2018 (Maguey Award for Best Feature)
- Filmography: Filipe Matzembach & Marcio Reolon: ; Seashore (2015); Other Than (2012)
- Language: Portugese
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Wolfe Releasing
- International Sales: m-appeal