I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians
Grappling with questions of history, violence, nationalism, and art, an ambitious young theater director faces censorship when she attempts to stage a reenactment of the 1941 Odessa Massacre.
"A provocative, sarcastic, and momentous act of interrogation between the past and the present that escalates to an impasse, with the hands of each locked around the neck of the other."—Variety
Incorporating history, philosophy, and political theory, this bravura tragicomedy by director Rade Jude is an inspiring example of the vitally necessary work film can do. Ioana Jacob gives a captivating performance as Mariana, a theater director hired to create a public art project related to Romania's past. Her choice? A re-enactment of the notorious 1941 massacre of 25,000 to 34,000 Jews in the Ukrainian city of Odessa after its capture by Romanian troops. Needless to say this isn't exactly the cheerful show of patriotism city officials had in mind, and Mariana must navigate the politics of government bureaucracy as well as those of her locally recruited nonprofessional cast, whose worldviews may not be so different from those of their grandparents. By turns hilarious and heartbreaking but always deeply engaging, I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians is a powerful indictment of any country's resistance to come to terms with its own history, with a particular relevance to the parts of the globe where nationalism is on the rise.
Radu Jude was born in 1977 in Bucharest, Romania, and graduated from the Film Department at the Media University of Bucharest in 2003. He first gained recognition on the international festival circuit when he won Best Director at the Berlin International Film Festival for Aferim! (2015).
Sponsored by American Romanian Cultural Society
- Original Language Title: Imi este indiferent daca in istorie vom intra ca barbari
- Director: Radu Jude
- Principal Cast: Ioana Iacob, Alexandru Dabija, Alex Bogdan, Ilinca Manolache, Serban Pavlu
- Country: Romania, Czech Republic, France, Bulgaria, Germany
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 140 minutes
- Producer: Ada Solomon
- Screenplay: Radu Jude
- Cinematographers: Marius Panduru
- Editors: Catalin Cristutiu
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Gijón International Film Festival 2018 (Best Director, Production Design), Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2018 (Best Film), Minsk International Film Festival 2018 (Best Film), Vokovar Film Festival (Best Film), Official Oscar Submission 2019 (Foreign Language Film)
- Filmography: The Dead Nation (2017); Scarred Hearts (2016); Aferim! (2015); Everybody in Our Family (2012); The Happiest Girl in the World (2009)
- Language: Romanian
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Big World Pictures
- International Sales: Beta Cinema GmbH