I’M FINE (Thanks for Asking)
April 8 - 18, 2021
A recently widowed mother on the outer edges of Los Angeles works her rollerskating tail off to get her and her eight-year-old daughter off the streets, over one long day of pawn shop negotiations, food app delivery mishaps, and shady landlords.
Recently widowed Danny, played by multi-hyphenate newcomer Kelley Kali who also serves as the film’s co-director and co-writer, is almost at her wit’s end. Temporarily houseless, Danny convinces her eight-year-old daughter that they are on a long camping trip as she takes odd jobs around town to save up for a deposit on a place. But with her daughter starting to question things and babysitting fees increasing by the day, Danny is feeling the pressure to find a solution with her options dwindling. Over the course of the day, audiences are welcomed along Danny’s journey towards finding a home for herself and her daughter as she skates through the streets of a masked Los Angeles, grappling with the effects of the pandemic. Tackling the issue of homelessness with nuance and humor, this debut feature film is a revelatory experience. Take in a mother’s story as sets out to craft a colorful world for her daughter, where hope is embraced and just around the corner.
Kelley, a USC MFA, won the 45th Annual Student Academy Award, Jury Award at Diversity in Cannes, and was an Official Selection at Telluride Film Festival for her short film, “Lalo's House” (2018).
Angelique, a USC School of Cinematic Arts Alumna, directed “There Goes The Neighborhood” (2016), receiving Best Documentary Short Award at USC's First Look Film Festival.
- Director: Kelley Kali, Angelique Molina
- Principal Cast: Kelley Kali, Wesley Moss, Deon Cole, Brooklynn Marie, Steven Ira Scipio, Andrew Galvan, Lamar Usher, Brian Brooks II, Jacolyn Holmes, Xing-Mai Deng
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: USA
- Year: 2021
- Running Time: 90 minutes
- Producer: Roma Kong, Angelique Molina, Kelley Kali, Capella Fahoome
- Screenplay: Kelley Kali, Angelique Molina, Roma Kong
- Cinematographers: Becky Baihui Chen
- Editors: Angelica Lopez, Katie McClellan
- Music: Erick del Aguila, Jarrett Woo
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- International Sales: The Film Sales Company