In this youthful revenge saga based on true events, an idealistic Colombian student witnesses her father's murder and is aghast at the ineptitude and apathy of the local police force. Time to take matters into her own hands.
Buy a film/party ticket and join us for the Closing Night Party at MOHAI!
Inspired by her social activist father Jose Maria (Camilo Escobar), tomboyish university student Paula (Natasha Jaramillo) balances her days between studying photography and organizing against Colombia's deeply corrupt legal establishment. But when she witnesses Jose Maria's assassination in broad daylight, Paula is thrown into a state of shock, fear, and the nightmare of dealing with an inept and uncaring police force. Lost in a daze of sadness and rage, she unexpectedly catches a glimpse of her father's killer, brooding young thug Jesus (Giovanny Rodriguez), in a nearby club, setting the young student on a path of revenge, of exacting any form of justice she can. Soon, Paula finds herself immersed inside of Jesus' aimless, poverty-stricken world, quickly discovering that they might both be victims of the same broken system. Can she go through with her self-imposed mission, or will her shifting conscience alter her priorities? In this thrilling and powerful semi-autobiographical first feature, co-writer and director Laura Mora (the award-winning TV miniseries "Pablo Escobar: El Patron del Mal") deftly handles a freestyle cinematographic style and a cast of non-professionals to create something deeply personal and brazenly political.
Laura More Oretega was born in Medellin, Colombia and graduated from film school in Melbourne, Australia. In 2012, she co-directed the TV series "Pablo Escobar, The Drug Lord" (2012) alongside popular Colombian director, Carlos Moreno. Killing Jesus (2017) is her debut film and the winner of the Jury Prize for Best Director at the 2017 Cairo International Film Festival.
Sponsored by BECU
- Original Language Title: Matar a Jesus
- Director: Laura Mora Oretega
- Principal Cast: Natasha Jaramillo, Giovanny Rodriguez, Camilo Escobar, Carmenza Cossio, Juan Pablo Trujillo
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Colombia, Argentina
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 99 minutes
- Producer: Juan Pablo Garcia, Diego F. Ramirez, Ignacio Rey, Maja Zimmermann
- Screenplay: Laura Mora Ortega, Alonso Torres
- Cinematographers: James L. Brown
- Editors: Leandro Aste
- Music: Sebastian Escofet
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: San Sebastian International Film Festival 2017 (EROSKI Youth Award ) Palm Springs International Film Festival 2018 (Best Ibero American Film) Guadalajara International Film Festival 2018 (Best Ibero American Film, Best Actor)
- Filmography: Codigo Origen (2016); Antes del fuego (2015)
- Language: Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Latido Films