April 14 - 24, 2022
A young man from rural China leaves his village (and his closeted married lover) to become a male escort in the city in this stylish drama, a rare and daring depiction of gay life in China.
*Restricted to audiences in WA State.
Torn between the freedom he’s gained for himself and the expectations of his family in rural China, Fei (Kai Ko) is a moneyboy—a gay male escort—working in the big city to send money home to support his family. While they have no issue accepting his funds, suspicions about how he acquires the money drive a rift between him and his family. Fei grows ever distant and apathetic as he continues his life in the city, but when his bubbly childhood friend Long (Bai Yu Fan), an optimist intrigued by the perceived freedom of being a moneyboy, and married ex-lover Xiaolai (JC Lin), a closeted man maintaining familial and societal expectations, return to his life, he must consider just what it means to live on his own terms. Set in an atmospheric metropolis adorned with neon, Moneyboys explores LGBTQIA+ life, migration from rural towns to urban cities, and what sacrifices (if any!) should be made to achieve happiness.
— Janae Brooks
- Director: C.B. Yi
- Principal Cast: Kai Ko, Chloe Maayan, JC Lin
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Austria, France, Belgium,Taiwan
- Year: 2021
- Running Time: 120 min
- Producer: Gabriele Kranzelbinder, Barbara Pichler, Guillaume de la Boulaye, Patrick Mao Huang, André Logie
- Screenplay: C.B. Yi
- Cinematographers: Jean-Louis Vialard
- Editors: Dieter Pichler
- Music: Yun Xie-Loussignian
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Spain Lesgaincinemad 2021 (Best Film Award), Spain Cineuropa 2021 (Best Director, Best Film Award), Germany Max Ophuls FF 2022 (Best Film, Best Screenplay Award, Jury Award)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Mandarin
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Totem Films