In the mountain jungles of Colombia, eight teenagers, in thrall to a mysterious guerrilla organization, eventually and brutally turn on each other as their last connections to the outside world are broken.
"Overpoweringly tense and deeply mad thriller."—The Guardian
On a stunning, windswept mountaintop in an unnamed South American country, a small group of teen guerrilla fighters, including Rambo (Sofia Buenaventura), Perro (Paul Cubides), pack leader Lobo (Julian Giraldo) and his girlfriend Lucy (Karen Quintero), BoomBoom (Sneider Castro), and Bigfoot (Moises Arias, Rico from "Hannah Montana") form a small, tightly cloistered ad hoc family living out of an abandoned bunker on behalf of a shadowy outfit simply known as the Organization. With no real purpose or goal other than to receive combat training given by the ferocious Mensajero (former guerrilla fighter Wilson Salazar), to take care of a dairy cow named Shakira, and to keep alive an American hostage simply known as Doctora (Julianne Nicholson, I, Tonya), the teens revel in an increasingly unbridled hedonism. But when the animal is killed and the group is suddenly attacked by a rival force, the teens must trek down the mountains and into the jungle, where petty rivalries devolve into life-or-death battles and the child fighters descend into their own increasingly brutal hearts of darkness. Monos is an unsettling and unforgettable third feature from Colombian-Ecuadorian writer/director Alejandro Landes and co-writer Alexis Dos Santos.
Alejandro Landes is a Colombian-Ecuadorian film director, producer, screenwriter, and journalist. Born in Brazil in 1980, Landes studied political economy at Brown University and graduated in 2003. He got his start as an assistant producer on the TV series "Oppenheimer presenta" and wrote for the Miami Herald before switching to filmmaking, debuting with the Bolivian farmer union documentary Cocalero, which premiered at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. He followed it up with the true story Porfirio, which premiered at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.
Sponsored by Comcast, Katherine and David DeBruyn
- Director: Alejandro Landes
- Principal Cast: Julianne Nicholson, Moises Arias, Sofia Buenaventura, Deiby Rueda, Karen Quintero
- Country: Colombia, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Uruguay
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 102 minutes
- Producer: Alejandro Landes, Fernando Epstein, Santiago Zapata, Cristina Landes
- Screenplay: Alejandro Landes, Alexis Dos Santos
- Cinematographers: Jasper Wolf
- Editors: Yorgos Mavropsaridis, Ted Guard, Santiago Otheguy
- Music: Mica Levi
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Sundance Film Festival 2019 (World Cinema Dramatic Special Jury Award) Cine Latino Cine Latino Toulouse 2019 (CCAS Fiction Award) Cartagena Film Festival 2019 (Audience Award)
- Filmography: Porfirio (2011); Cocalero (Doc., 2007)
- Language: English, Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: NEON / Participant Media
- International Sales: Le Pacte