My Big Gay Italian Wedding
In this merry movie of matrimony, happily engaged Antonio brings his fiancé Paulo to the exquisite old Italian village of his birth to meet his headstrong parents and reveal his sexuality, setting out on a quest to make a city founded on religious tradition understand that love is love.
It was love at first sight for happy couple Antonio (Cristiano Caccamo) and Paulo (Salvatore Esposito), and they now live peacefully in a Berlin apartment with their quirky and musical landlord Benedetta (Diana Del Bufalo). On the day of their engagement, their new roommate arrives, the depressed cross-dressing Donato (Dino Abbrescia), and they all embark on a journey to finally reveal their relationship to their families. Their first stop is the exquisite old Italian village Civita di Bagnoregio, where Antonio's father Roberto (Diego Abatantuono) is the mayor and his mother Anna (Monica Guerritore), the headstrong matriarch. In a whirl of surreal yet sentimental chaos, Anna provides the couple with stringent conditions related to their wedding ceremony, and the group sets out on a quest to make a city founded on religious tradition understand that love is love. Director Alessandro Genovesi's (2015's What a Big Surprise) lively comedy tackles social issues in a unique and unforgettable setting, with characters that are far from one-dimensional, and explores the obstacles that come with breaking traditions and gaining acceptance.
As a filmmaker, Alessandro Genovesi believes firmly in the power of comic relief. His work reflects a lighter take on serious social issues that draw in audiences to gain a new perspective. An Italian director, screenwriter, playwright, and actor, Genovesi's work has been highly acclaimed and his international success in the box office has lead to his work garnering fans worldwide.
Sponsored by Greater Seattle Business Association, MOViN 92.5
- Original Language Title: Puoi baciare lo sposo
- Director: Alessandro Genovesi
- Principal Cast: Salvatore Esposito, Cristiano Caccamo, Diego Abatantuono, Monica Guerritore, Antonio Catania, Dino Abbrescia
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Italy
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 90 minutes
- Producer: Maurizio Totti, Alessandro Usai
- Screenplay: Giovanni Bognetti, Alessandro Genovesi
- Cinematographers: Federico Masiero
- Editors: Claudio Di Mauro
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: What a Beautiful Surprise (2015); Soap Opera (2014); The Worst Christmas of My Life (2012); The Worst Week of My Life (2011)
- Language: Italian
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Breaking Glass Pictures
- International Sales: True Colours Glorious Film