No. 1 Chung Ying Street
The title thoroughfare divides Hong Kong from Mainland China, and this drama similarly links two upheavals in the colony's history: the pro-Communist, anti-British riots of 1967 and the anti-China "Umbrella Revolution" of 2014.
"An eerily relevant drama about political resistance"—The Hollywood Reporter
To director Derek Chiu, the 2014 student-led protests of the Umbrella Movement were evocative of an earlier, bloodier dispute: "We study history because it is a mirror to the future. The more I research, the more I realize how history is repeating itself," says Chiu. Filmed entirely in black and white, NO. 1 Chung Ying Street places two time periods of civil unrest side by side. The first half, set in 1967 in British-controlled Hong Kong, depicts a childhood bond between Lai-Wah (Malaysian actress Fish Liew) and Chun-Man (Yau Hawk Sau), both students at a leftist high school. While Chun-Man grows deeply involved in the rhetoric and violent protests of the pro-communist revolution, Lai-Wah and classmate Chi-Ho (Hong Kong actor Lo Chun Yip) remain skeptical of radical leftist views, with Lai-Wah even leveraging the freedom of British suffragettes in an argument against her parents. The film's second half transplants the three actors, playing different characters, into the aftermath of the 2014 Umbrella Movement, amid a fictional backdrop of farmer resistance to urbanization. Looking past the political conversation of Beijing's influence in Hong Kong, a heartfelt story is told of the inner conviction of youth inspiring action in the face of societal and familial intervention.
Born in 1961 in Hong Kong, Derek Chiu is a filmmaker who has directed 18 feature films as of 2018. He began his career in television, and directed over 30 television series and made-for-TV movies in the 1980s and 1990s. He studied Foreign Languages and Literatures at the National Taiwan University, and currently serves as an associate professor at the School of Creative Media in the City University of Hong Kong.
Sponsored by Aegis Gardens, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
- Original Language Title: 中英街1號
- Director: Derek Chiu
- Principal Cast: Fish Liew, Yau Hawk Sau, Lo Chun Yip
- Premiere Status: US Premiere
- Country: Hong Kong
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 118 minutes
- Producer: Derek Chiu
- Screenplay: Stella Tse, Derek Chiu
- Cinematographers: Lai Yat Nam
- Editors: Angie Lam, Josie Tang
- Music: The Interzone Collective, Hubert So, Edmund Leung, Chan Sau Pok
- Awards: Osaka 18 (Best Film)
- Filmography: My Boy Boy Boy Boyfriend (2013); 72 Martyrs (2011); The Road Less Traveled (2010); Brothers (2007); Road to Dawn (2007); Comeuppance (2001); Final Justice (1997); The Log (1996); Pink Bomb (1992)
- Language: Cantonese, Mandarin
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Day Day Creative Limited