In northern Iran, an all-female crew in the formerly all-male world of orange farming has more to contend with than sexism.
Orange farming is a man's world in northern Iran, but that hasn't stopped Aban, who worked her way up from a seasonal worker at the mercy of the men who employed her to run her own all-female crew. Now those men are her rivals as she competes to outbid them for the harvesting contracts that sustain their precarious livelihood. Of course the game is rigged against her, but that's the least of her worries. Unpaid workers threaten to strike (while also facing their own struggles with poverty and addiction). A massive theft of product forces her to put up her house as collateral on a loan. And the single-minded dedication that her business requires is causing problems in her marriage. In his first narrative feature, documentarian Arash Lahooti uses a handheld camera and mostly natural light to capture the rigors and rewards of the world inhabited by Aban and her workers. Hadieh Tehrani's riveting performance as a woman determined to succeed in an all-male world through sheer force of will offers a remarkable portrait of courage and endurance.
Born in 1982 in Tehran, Arash Lahooti studied film editing at Yazd University. He has since created five documentaries which have been shown at over 100 film festivals, and have attained 25 national and international awards including the Golden Hugu for Best Documentary at the Chicago Film Festival in 2013. Orange Days is his feature-length directorial debut.
Sponsored by Anonymous, Babak and Sinikka Parviz, Michael and Neda Nassirian, Nima Foroutan DDS, Follow Your Feet Productions, American Iranian Business Council, ARVR Academy, Mike Moghaddas Realty, Shirin's Chic Design, Near Eastern Languages and Civilization Department at UW, Iranian American Faculty at UW, Radio Iranshahr, and Seattle Isfahan Sister City Association
- Original Language Title: Rooz-haye Narenji
- Director: Arash Lahooti
- Principal Cast: Hadieh Tehrani, Ali Mosaffa, Mehran Ahmadi, Alireza Ostadi
- Country: Iran
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 102 minutes
- Producer: Alireza Ghasemkhan
- Screenplay: Arash Lahooti
- Cinematographers: Farshad Mohammadi
- Editors: Mehdi Hosseinvand
- Music: Christoph Rezaie
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Mannheim-Heidelberg International Filmfestival 2018 (FIPRESCI Prize, Grand Newcomer Award, Prize of the Ecumenical Jury)
- Filmography: Pale Blue (Doc, 2017); Ranandeh va roobah (Doc, 2013)
- Language: Farsi
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Iranian Independents