Trapped in domestic misery and a decaying marriage, the menopausal Elpida’s only solace is to retreat into creative fantasies of vengeance which threaten to bleed into her day-to-day existence in this bleakly humorous social drama.
Elpida is trapped in domestic misery and a decaying marriage. Her days consist of nothing more than an endless loop of running errands, doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning, all to serve a husband who barely engages her unless he's refusing her money so she can fix up her gray roots or get internet for their home. Now approaching menopause, not even the paintings she does to cure her boredom seem to help anymore. When her husband finally crosses the line—cruelly selling her car to make up for his measly pension—she retreats into a fantasy world. At first lightly vengeful—cutting power to the television that keeps her up every night, throwing food in his face—her daydreams soon become violent, passionate, rageful, disconcertingly bleeding into her day-to-day existence; did she really get a hickey from the handsome man who's painting the apartment building, or is she losing her mind with grief? What, if anything, will truly push Elpida over the edge? In a rare film from Cyprus, writer/director Tonia Mishiali and lead Stela Fyrogeni skillfully put us through the emotional ringer in this bleakly humorous social drama about the blockades that keep us from true happiness.
Tonia Mishiali is a Cypriot director, scriptwriter, and producer who loves creating films that deal with social and women's issues. Her short films Dead End and Lullaby Of A Butterfly were screened at prestigious international film festivals including Locarno, Palm Springs, Cork, Busan, and Dresden, garnering several awards for Best Director and Best Film in the process. Pause is her directorial feature debut.
Sponsored by 3rd Act Magazine, Diageo Americas, Inc.
- Original Language Title: Pafsi
- Director: Tonia Mishiali
- Principal Cast: Stela Fyrogeni, Andreas Vasiliou, Popi Avraam
- Country: Cyprus, Greece
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 95 minutes
- Producer: Tonia Mishiali, Stelana Kliris, Andros Achilleos
- Screenplay: Tonia Mishiali
- Cinematographers: Yorgos Rahmatoulin
- Editors: Emilios Avraam
- Music: Julian Scherle
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Thessaloniki International Film Festival 2018 (FIPRESCI Award, ERT Award) Panorama of European Cinema 2018 (Greek Film Critics Association Best Film Award) Hellas FilmBox 2019 (Emerging Greeks Competition Best Film Award)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Greek
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Subliminal Films
- International Sales: Film Republic