Piazzolla, The Years of the Shark
The audio archives of composer Astor Piazzolla (1921-92) enrich this look at his life and work, from his youth in New York City to his career as the greatest and most innovative master of the Argentine tango.
Born with a malformed right foot to a newly immigrated and deeply impoverished Italian couple, young Astor Piazzolla did not have a beginning that would portend greatness. Yet growing up in Mar del Plata with parents who fanatically believed in their only child's brilliance, they would soon place a 22-pound bandoneon in the boy's arms, beginning a life's journey that would take the young musician from the seediest Argentinian nightclubs to the world's grandest concert halls, and in the process have him regarded as a genius, tango assassin, controversial, virtuoso, and heretic, often all at once. Now, in preparation for a major museum retrospective on his father's life, son Daniel Piazzolla opens the family vault, sharing never-before-seen home movies and audio recordings conducted by late sister Diana. The film paints a picture of an assured, complicated man; one who struggled to balance creative expression against the needs of making a living; an iconoclast who felt unwelcome in his own country but who found peace fishing its waters; one whose philosophy of disregarding the past and always looking forward would transform the tango and at the same time dramatically impact his own family. Director Daniel Rosenfeld weaves a rich visual and sonic tapestry in telling of a complicated figure whose failures and triumphs created one of Latin America's greatest musical legacies.
Daniel Rosenfeld, multiple award-winning director and producer, was born in 1973 in Buenos Aires. He wanted to be a pianist/composer but ended up making films. He produced one of Argentina's biggest commercial hits in the past few years, Gilda, which was unanimously praised by critics.
Sponsored by Comcast, KEXP 90.3 FM
- Original Language Title: Piazzolla, los años del tiburón
- Director: Daniel Rosenfeld
- Principal Cast: Astor Piazzolla, Daniel Piazzolla
- Country: Argentina, France
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 90 minutes
- Producer: Francoise Gazio, Daniel Rosenfeld
- Screenplay: Daniel Rosenfeld
- Cinematographers: Ramiro Civita
- Editors: Alejandro Carrillo Penovi
- Music: Astor Piazzolla
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Al centro de la Tierra (2015); Cornelia frente al espejo (2012); The Chimera of Heroes (Doc, 2003); Saluzzi - Ensayo para Bandoneon y tres Hermanos (Doc, 1999)
- Language: Spanish, French, English
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Euroarts Music International