An 18-year-old girl pushes the boundaries of her strict Catholic upbringing when she forms an unshakable bond with a troubled 25-year-old security guard in this sincere, delicate romantic drama of liberation and heartache.
This is a film about love and redemption; nothing new, you'd say, but Roberto De Paolis tells it in a way no one has never done before. In the outskirts of Rome, where the glamour of the Eternal City does not shine at all, Agnese has just turned 18; she lives with a very strict and pious mother, and as a result is ready to commit to a vow of chastity before marriage. Stefano, 25, is a man with a troubled past who works as a security guard in a huge parking lot next to a Romani settlement. Upon their first meeting, their encounter creates an unbreakable bond, and soon the purity in their hearts will force them to make life-altering and grave choices. De Paolis' first feature finds its strength in its superb storytelling, refusing to ever over the top; the two lead actors participated in the writing, bringing their own sincerity and sentimental purity to film's overwhelming narrative success. Using only a handheld camera, De Paolis gives his actors complete freedom from the constrictions of classical shots, allowing the film to flow naturally, clear of cliches and stereotypes, with two beautiful, truthful performances at its center.
Roberto De Paolis is an Italian photographer, director, and producer. His interest in the arts began when he first worked as a photographer while attending London International Film School. Since that time, he has gone to work as a video-artist for Nowness.com and is a co-founder of a production company called Young Films.
Sponsored by 425 Magazine
- Original Language Title: Cuori Puri
- Director: Roberto De Paolis
- Principal Cast: Selene Caramazza, Simone Liberati, Barbora Bobulova, Stefano Fresi, Edoardo Pesce, Antonella Attili, Federico Pacifici, Isabella Delle Monache
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Italy
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 114 minutes
- Producer: Carla Altieri, Roberto De Paolis
- Screenplay: Luca Infascelli, Carlo Salsa, Greta Scicchitano, Roberto De Paolis
- Cinematographers: Claudio Cofrancesco
- Editors: Paola Freddi
- Music: Emanuele De Raymondi
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Italian
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: The Match Factory