To cover his young daughter's medical bills, single father Menachem gets his rock band back together, even though the temptations of the musical life conflict with his devout Hasidic faith.
Redemption introduces Menachem (Moshe Folkenflik), a widower and ex-frontman of once-popular Israeli band The High Beams who has given up his songwriting and performing days in favor of Hasidic Judaism. But when he finds out that his six-year-old daughter, Geula (meaning "redemption" in Hebrew), needs experimental cancer treatment, he returns to music after a long hiatus to secure funding for her medical expenses. Until this momentous decision, he has retreated from the instability and temptations that accompany the music industry to work as a grocery clerk, which provides security but is ultimately unfulfilling; he misses the excitement and creative stimulation that the music world provided before his Hasidic days. However, he wrestles with the idea that returning to such an erratic lifestyle will disrupt his spiritual life, which is already precarious following the loss of his wife. Despite themes surrounding death and grief, Redemption is a joyful viewing experience, filled with lively rock music infused with Hasidic flavor. Everyone in the film is trying to redeem him- or herself from the negative attitudes (external or self-imposed) that plague their self-perception; Menachem attempts to find redemption by connecting his spirituality with his love of music instead of keeping the two at odds.
Born in Ramat Ha-Sharon, Israel, Boaz Yehonaton Yacov served as cinematographer for dozens of features, shorts, and TV series before co-directing Redemption. Joseph Madmony graduated from The Jerusalem Sam Spiegel Film School and has worked extensively as a scriptwriter, with a particular interest in the conflict between faith and modernity.
Sponsored by Comparative Religion Program at UW, Propel Insurance
- Original Language Title: Geula
- Director: Boaz Yehonaton Yacov, Joseph Madmony
- Principal Cast: Moshe Folkenflick, Emily Granin, Yonatan Galila, Sivan Shtivi, Shahar Even-Tzur
- Country: Israel
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 104 minutes
- Producer: Marek Rozenbaum, Michael Rozenbaum, Jonathan Rozenbaum
- Screenplay: Boaz Yehonatan Yacov
- Cinematographers: Boaz Yehonatan Yacov
- Editors: Ayala Bengad
- Music: Assaf Talmudi
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2018 (Best Actor, Ecumenical Jury Prize) Jerusalem Film Festival 2018 (Audience Favorite Award, Leah Award, Van Leer Award)
- Filmography: Madmony A Place in Heaven (2013) Restoration (2011) Melanoma My Love (2006) The Barbecue People (2003) Yacov Debut Feature Film
- Language: Hebrew
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Menemsha Films