Set in an isolated Peruvian village, a 14-year-old boy's world is jarringly turned upside-down when he accidentally discovers his troubled artist father's secret in this absorbing drama about familial strife and disillusionment.
Blessed with a photographic memory and an artist's soul, 14-year-old Segundo (Junior Bejar) is set to follow in his father Noe's (Amiel Cayo) footsteps as a master crafter of retablos, colorful and richly detailed story-boxes that fetch high prices at their local marketplace and are in high demand within the family's small, isolated Quechua village in Peru. But while on his way to a celebration in the Andes, Segundo accidentally discovers his troubled father's secret, the young artist's world is quickly turned inside out, his life transformed into a simmering storm of anger, confusion, and a growing disillusionment with his village's often provincial way of thinking. Soon, a misstep puts the family's secret out on the open, forcing a reckoning between Segundo and his beleaguered mother Anatolia (Magaly Solier, A Magallanes, SIFF 2010's The Milk of Sorrow), as well as with the only place he's ever known. A powerful, deeply absorbing feature debut from writer/director Alvaro Delgado Aparicio, Retablo is a Peruvian story of self-realization about how much of our lives are defined by our environment and social class, and what happens when we push against both. Retablo is a SIFF New Works-in-Progress Forum 2017 film.
Peruvian director Alvaro Delgado-Aparicio transitioned from studying psychology and innovation design to attend the London Film Academy. He started in movies directing and writing the short film, Can You See Me? (2010), premiering at the Los Angeles Film Festival and winning the Audience and Jury awards at the Latin American Film Festival. His second film, The Companion (2012), won the Peruvian National Short Film Award, and was a finalist at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and the Rotterdam International Film Festival.
Sponsored by The Stranger, Pacific Place
- Director: Alvaro L. Aparicio
- Principal Cast: Magaly Solier, Amiel Cayo, Junior Bejar Roca
- Premiere Status: North American
- Country: Peru, Germany, Norway
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 101 minutes
- Producer: Enid Pinky Campos, Alvaro Delgado-Aparicio L., Iris Roca Rey P.
- Screenplay: Alvaro Delgado Aparicio L., Hector Galvez
- Cinematographers: Mario Bassino DFP
- Editors: Eric Williams
- Music: Harry Escott
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Berlin International Film Festival 2018 (Teddy Newcomer Award, Generations 14plus Special Mention) Lima International Film Festival 2017 (Best Peruvian Film)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Quechua, Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Heretic Outreach