As gentrification hits Istanbul, one desperate young resident must decide whether to take a job with the same construction crew that's ripping up his neighborhood. The Syrian refugees also living there complicate the question.
In Turkey's depressed economy, unemployment is high and jobs are hard to come by. Kamil, who has been out of work for a while and is in danger of losing his home, is getting desperate. When he's finally offered the night shift on a construction site, he can't turn it down, even though he's hurting his Turkish colleagues by accepting lower pay, as well as taking the job away from a Syrian refugee. In this way, he's able to eke out a precarious living—until he needs to pay for a license to operate the necessary machinery used or risk being fired himself. And when the Syrian whose job he took shows up demanding it back, the situation comes to a head in ways that will affect not just the two men but their families as well. Skillfully blending an incisive critique of the gentrification that is displacing entire neighborhoods in Istanbul with a compassionate depiction of the plight of refugees, director Ali Vatansever crafts an intelligent and deeply humane indictment of a system that sets people disenfranchised in various ways against one other in the service of corporate greed and political power.
Born in Istanbul, Ali Vatansever studied at the Rochester Institute of Technology on a Fulbright scholarship. He is the founder of the production company Terminal Films and a lecturer at Istanbul Technical University and Koc University.
Sponsored by Sound Publishing Eastside, Turkish American Cultural Association of Washington, Seattle Turkish Film Festival
- Director: Ali Vatansever
- Principal Cast: Saadet Isil Aksoy, Erol Afsin, Onur Buldu, Ummu Putgul, Kida Khodr Ramadan
- Country: Turkey, Germany, Romania
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 102 minutes
- Producer: Selin Tezcan, Oya Ozden, Harry Floter, Jorg Siepmann, Anamaria Antoci
- Screenplay: Ali Vatansever
- Cinematographers: Tudor Vladimir Panduru
- Editors: Evren Lus
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: One Day or Another (2012)
- Language: Turkish, Arabic
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Doc & Film International