See You Up There
It's 1918 and revenge is in order for a malicious lieutenant after two soldiers, one a talented artist that loses his jaw, survive his orders to charge across No Man's Land despite the Armistice ceasefire.
"It has many dizzying, disturbing and decoratively dazzling moments, designed to take your breath away." Carolyn Mcdowall - The Culture Concept
Director Albert Dupontel also stars in this post-WWI genre-splicing epic. As mortar shells rage all around them, two seemingly normal army grunts, Albert and Edouard, are led on one more suicidal charge by the sadistic Lieutenant Pradelle (Laurent Lafitte, Tell No One, Crimson Rivers) after ceasefire orders have been handed down for the Armistice. All three men manage to survive, but Edouard (Nahuel Perez Biscayart, BPM: Beats Per Minute, All Yours) loses his jaw from an explosion while pulling Albert to safety. Soon, Albert finds out Edouard is a talented artist and black-sheep son of an exorbitantly wealthy Paris family, a family Pradelle has weaseled his way into by marrying Edouard's sister. Disenfranchised by the war profiteering his father engaged in, Edouard schemes to sell fake war monument designs to the Parisian elite, eager to show off their "patriotism." When his father purchases a fake monument and sniffs out the scheme, he sics Pradelle on the embezzlers, sending the trio towards a revenge-inspired climax. Director Dupontel, who plays Albert, deftly weaves surrealist humor and humanizing romance into this war-inspired crime thriller, creating a dramatically robust film that hits several genres.
French director Albert Dupontel began his career in the arts as a stand-up comedian performing in a one-man show. His powerful stage presence lead to a career in acting, which transitioned into his starring in some of his own directorial work.
Sponsored by Alliance Francaise de Seattle, The French American School of Puget Sound, French Immersion School of WA, Seattle-Nantes Sister City Association
- Original Language Title: Au revoir la-haut
- Director: Albert Dupontel
- Principal Cast: Nahuel Perez Biscayart, Albert Dupontel, Laurent Lafitte, Niels Arestrup, Emilie Dequenne, Melanie Thierry
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: France
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 117 minutes
- Producer: Catherine Bozorgran
- Screenplay: Albert Dupontel, based on the novel by Pierre Lemaitre
- Cinematographers: Vincent Mathias
- Editors: Christophe Pinel
- Music: Christophe Julien
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: 9-Month Stretch (2013); The Villain (2009); Locked Out (2006); The Creator (1999)
- Language: French
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Gaumont