In a remote Turkish mountain village, the pressure to conform is as menacing as the wolf prowling the surrounding forest; a daring young woman, ostracized for being mute, must confront both threats.
25-year-old Sibel (in a mesmerizing performance by Damla Sonmez) lives with her father and younger sister in the remote village of Kuskoy, on the mountainous Black Sea coast of Turkey. Mute since childhood, she communicates in the region's traditional whistled language. Her muteness has caused her to be shunned by the village women who consider her bad luck; her only friend is Narin, an elderly woman driven mad by the disappearance, decades ago, of her fiance. However, Sibel's outsider status also buys her a modicum of freedom from restrictive gender norms and rigid adherence to a code of family honor. Armed with a rifle, she tramps the countryside in search of a wolf believed to be roaming the area; killing it could earn her the respect of her community. One day, instead of the wolf, she encounters Ali, a soldier gone AWOL, whom she secretly nurses back to health. But it isn't long before their relationship is discovered, testing the boundaries of her freedom and the degree of her independence, both in the eyes of others and in her own.
Çağla Zencirci is a director and writer born in Ankara, Turkey, in 1976, while Guillaume Giovanetti is a director and writer born in 1978 in Lyon, France. Zencirci and Giovanetti have worked together as a directorial duo based in Paris and Istanbul since 2004. They are particularly interested in portraying local stories from different countries as though they are their own, seeking to make local truths more universally understood. On set, they alternate tasks, stating that "One of us deals with directing the actors, while the other is more focused on the technical crew for the mise-en-scène."
Sponsored by Katherine and David DeBruyn, Turkish American Cultural Association of Washington, Seattle Turkish Film Festival
- Director: Cagla Zencirci, Guillaume Giovanetti
- Principal Cast: Damla Sonmez, Emin Gursoy, Elit Iscan, Meral Cetinkaya, Erkan Kolcak Kostendil
- Country: Turkey, France, Germany, Luxembourg,
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 95 minutes
- Producer: Marie Legand, Rani Massalha, Michael Eckelt, Johannes Jancke, Marsel Kalvo, Nefes Polat, Christel Henon, Lilian Eche, Marc Simoncini
- Screenplay: Çağla Zencirci, Ramata Sy, Guillaume Giovanetti
- Cinematographers: Eric Devin
- Editors: Veronique Lange
- Music: Bassel Hallak, Pi
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Adana Film Festival, 2018 (Best Film, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor); Hamburg Film Festival, 2018 (Hamburg Producers Award); Locarno International Film Festival, 2018 (FIPRESCI Prize, Prize of the Ecumenical Jury); Montpellier Mediterranean Film Festival, 2018 (Audience Award Best Movie, Critics Award Feature)
- Filmography: Ningen (2013); Noor (2012); Camera Obscura (Doc., 2012); Retrouver Bam (Doc., 2005)
- Language: Turkish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Synergetic Distribution
- International Sales: Pyramide International