At-risk Brazilian youth collaborated with director Alexandre Moratto on this no-punches-pulled drama about a homeless, family-less teen struggling to get by in São Paulo's ghetto.
When his mother dies unexpectedly, 15-year-old Socrates (newcomer Christian Malheiros in an astonishing debut) quickly finds his already tenuous life in the favelas of Sao Paulo pushed to the brink. Abandoned by his father as a child and guided by an often-explosive temper, the volatile youth is desperate to find a job in order to keep the rent paid and to stay out of a group home and off the streets. But when he crosses paths with mysterious Maicon, whose sketchy offer of quick cash takes Socrates to a wholly unexpected place, the young orphan must decide where his life is headed, what kind of person he is, and who he will become—all while desperately searching for his mother's remains in order to say goodbye one last time—in this astonishing feature debut from writer/director Alexandre Moratto, winner of the Someone to Watch Award at the 2019 Film Independent Spirit Awards. Executive-produced by Fernando Meirelles (City of God) and performed, co-written, and produced by a crew of at-risk youth under the guidance of the UNICEF-backed Quero Institute, Socrates is a raw and urgent reminder that, even in the rush of modern life, everyone has a story.
Brazilian-American director Alexandre Moratto received his BFA from the UNC School of the Arts where he was a Kenan Excellence full scholarship recipient and winner of the DGA Student Film Jury Award for his thesis. His award-winning short films Nowhere To Be Found, The Parting, and The Otherside have screened at international film festivals. He was a Film Independent Directing Lab Fellow, an NC Arts Council Artist Fellow, and had a project in the Sundance Creative Producing Labs. He resides in California and Sao Paulo, and his most recent project is a trilogy of short documentaries about the aftermath of suicide.
Sponsored by KING 5
- Director: Alexandre Moratto
- Principal Cast: Christian Malheiros, Tales Ordakji, Rosane Paulo
- Country: Brazil
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 71 minutes
- Producer: Tammy Weiss, Ramin Bahrani, Jefferson Paulino, Alexandre Moratto
- Screenplay: Alexandre Moratto, Thayná Mantesso
- Cinematographers: Joao Gabriel de Queiroz
- Editors: Sabine Hoffman
- Music: Felipe Puperi, Tiago Abrahao
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Film Independent Spirit Awards 2019 (Someone to Watch Award) Miami Film Festival 2019 (Jordan Ressler First Feature Award) Thessaloniki Film Festival 2018 (Special Mention of the Jury Award) Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival 2018 (Felix Award)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Portuguese
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Breaking Glass Pictures
- International Sales: O2 Films