On a quest through Kyrgyzstan's countryside to reach a storied healing mountain, a disjointed family made up of con artist, his two wives, and a son newly recovered from an orphanage face unpredictable circumstances around every bend and discover much more than they bargained for.
Suleiman Mountain in Kyrgyzstan dominates the Fergana Valley and forms the backdrop to the city of Osh, at the crossroads of important routes on the Central Asian Silk Roads. Suleiman is a beacon for travelers and believed to be a sacred mountain that can help cure barrenness, headaches, and back pain. In this family road trip tragicomedy, Zhipara, a healer, faces her biggest challenge—keeping her family together. She tries to lure back her wandering, hard-gambling, truck-driving husband Karabas by finding their long-lost son Uluk, who was living in an orphanage, and even accepts her husband's second wife. And Uluk? He learns the ins and outs of family relationships, taking the bitter with the sweet until he can no longer comprehend the grownups' world. A co-production from Russia, Poland, and Kyrgyzstan, Suleiman Mountain is a powerfully emotional, oddly funny story of a patched-together family and the coming of age of a young boy. Making her feature debut, director Elizaveta Stishova laces humor into a unique travelogue that highlights the rugged landscape of Kyrgyzstan, showing a clear-eyed affection for her flawed but deeply human characters.
Originally from Moscow, Elizaveta Stishova has spent most of her film career in Kyrgyzstan working with Bishkek-based Aitysh Film. She was assistant director of Queen of the Mountains (2014), the Kyrgyz entry for nomination for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards®. A graduate of the lauded Higher Course for Scriptwriters and Film Directors, Shishova also participated in the 2014 Berlinale Talents Campus.
Sponsored by Tulalip Tribes Charitable Fund, 98.9 The Bull
- Original Language Title: Sulayman too
- Director: Elizaveta Stishova
- Principal Cast: Asset Imangaliev, Perizat Ermanbetova, Turgunai Erkinbekova, Daniel Daiyrbekov
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Russia, Kyrgyzstan
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 102 minutes
- Producer: Yelena Yatsura, Andrey Devyatkin, Victor Kuznetsov
- Screenplay: Alisa Khmelnitskaya
- Cinematographers: Tudor Vladimir Panduru
- Editors: Karolina Maciejewska
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Russian, Kyrgyz
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Ant!pode Sales & Distribution