When six-year-old Frida is orphaned as a result of the AIDS virus, she must adjust to life in the countryside of Catalonia with her uncle and his family. Revealing the aftermath of tragedy through a child's eyes, Frida must rediscover the building blocks of human intimacy.
Lonely and afraid yet struggling not to let it show, six-year-old Frida (Laia Artigas in an astonishing debut) watches her native Barcelona pass by en route to her Uncle Esteve's country home, unsure of what her new life will be like alongside Esteve's wife Marga and their three-year-old daughter Anna. Made an orphan by a virus no one around her will utter the name of, Frida uneasily feels her way around her unfamiliar surroundings and within a family she only vaguely knows, acting out, telling lies and inflicting small cruelties on her new sister. Yet slowly, against a backdrop of the lush natural world-and a family struggling to embrace its troubled new member-Frida might rediscover what it is to be loved again in this astonishing debut feature from writer/director Carla Simon. Winner of the Best First Feature and the Generation Kplus International Jury Awards at the 2017 Berlin International Film Festival and based on the director's own childhood experiences, Summer 1993 is an unforgettable film of disarming authenticity, free of sentimentality and beautifully crafted in every way.
Known for acclaimed shorts Lipstick and Las Paquenas Cosas, filmmaker Carla Simón makes her feature-length debut with Summer 1993, which was named Best First Feature Film at the Berlin International Festival.
Sponsored by Accion Cultural Espanola, Honorary Consulate of Spain in Seattle, Institut Ramon Llull, Catalan Films & TV
- Director: Carla Simón
- Principal Cast: Bruna Cusi, David Verdaguer, Laia Artigas, Paula Robles, Fermi Reixach
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Spain
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 97 minutes
- Producer: Valérie Delpierre
- Screenplay: Carla Simón
- Cinematographers: Santiago Racaj
- Editors: Didac Palou, Ana Pfaff
- Music: Pau Boïgues, Ernest Pipó
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Goya Awards 2018 (Best New Director, Best New Actress, Best Supporting Actor) Berlin International Film Festival 2017 (Best First Feature, Special Mention) Málaga Spanish Film Festival 17 (Best Spanish Film) Official Oscar® Submission 2018 (Foreign Language Film)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Catalan
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Oscilloscope Laboratories
- International Sales: New Europe Film Sales