You think the ’70s were sybaritic and self-indulgent in America? Apparently this was a nunnery compared to Australia, or so suggests Stephan Elliott’s colorfully crass look back at the loose parenting of the Decade of Decadence.
"Elliott celebrates Australian identity with genuine love while simultaneously roasting it over the coals of no-holds-barred satire and parody."—Variety
You think the '70s were sybaritic and self-indulgent in America? Apparently this was a nunnery compared to Australia, or so suggests writer/director Stephan Elliott (The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert) in this sun-baked, colorfully crass look back at the loose parenting of the Decade of Decadence. Elliott's alter ego/guide through this tale of three families in the beachside suburb of Wallaroo is Jeff Marsh (Atticus Robb), age 13, an enthusiastic maker of gory stunt-driven home movies that regularly include either submerging or setting afire his friends. Why don't the parents step in? They're too busy hanging out, drinking, and eventually feuding—falling out in the most '70s way possible, after a key party. Jeff's proto-girlfriend is the sensitive Melly Jones (Darcey Wilson), morosely mourning the beached whale carcass that serves as the film's narrative spine and provides a worthily yes-he-went-there finale. With a soundtrack drawn from the deepest recesses of Rhino Records' "Have a Nice Day" compilations, Swinging Safari is practically an encyclopedia of the era's ephemera, from the iconic consumer goods (the complete K-Tel and Ronco lines) to the fondly remembered details (the alluring scent of purple Ditto machine copies). And fans of Priscilla's Oscar®-winning costumier Lizzy Gardiner will thrill to her return as the re-creator of the decade's camp couture.
Stephan Elliott is an Australian filmmaker best known for The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert (1994), which won the Prix du Public at Cannes Film Festival, an Academy Award® for Best Costume Design, and Seattle International Film Festival's very own Golden Space Needle award for Best Film. Swinging Safari (2018) is Elliott's eighth feature film.
Sponsored by Lawrence Lofts, The Walls Vineyards
- Director: Stephan Elliott
- Principal Cast: Guy Pearce, Kylie Minogue, Radha Mitchell, Julian McMahon, Asher Keddie, Jeremy Sims
- Premiere Status: North American Premiere
- Country: Australia, USA
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 97 minutes
- Producer: Al Clark, Jamie Hilton, Ester Harding
- Screenplay: Stephan Elliott
- Cinematographers: Brad Shield
- Editors: Sue Blainey, Annette Davey, Laurie Hughes
- Music: Michelle De Vries
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Rio, I Love You (2014); A Few Best Men (2011); Easy Virtue (2008); Eye of the Beholder (1999); Welcome to Woop Woop (1997); The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994); Frauds (1993); ;
- Language: English
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Blue Fox Entertainment
- International Sales: West End Films