A deadpan black comedy based on a true failed 1963 military coup, as four retired colonels attempt, over one long night, to take over Turkey’s national radio station.
"Comedy of the absurd has rarely felt so strangely real"—Screendaily
Loosely based on actual events, The Announcement blends bleak political commentary with the darkest deadpan comedy to satirize Turkey's long history of military coups. The year is 1963 and a hapless group of co-conspirators is implementing a takeover orchestrated by the military from the nation's capital. Their job is to go to the Istanbul Radio studios to announce that the military has taken over the country, a task that proves more challenging than expected. A series of random delays means that when they finally arrive at the radio station, it's gone off the air for the night and nobody can be found to operate the equipment. The station manager points out later that if he'd had advance notice, as with previous coups, the problem could have been avoided… The violence that occasionally interrupts the absurd goings-on underlines the gravity of their consequences. Despite its highly stylized period setting, the film also has a timeless quality, as well as a resonance with recent events in Turkish politics that highlights how the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Turkish director Mahmut Fazil Coskun studied film at UCLA and Istanbul Bilgi University. He began working as a documentary and commercial filmmaker in 2000. Wrong Rosary was his directorial debut, winning a Tiger Award at 2009 International Film Festival Rotterdam and Best Director at the 2009 Adana Film Festival.
Sponsored by Diageo Americas, Inc., Turkish American Cultural Association of Washington, Seattle Turkish Film Festival, Tulalip Tribe
- Original Language Title: Anons
- Director: Mahmut Fazil Coskun
- Principal Cast: Ali Seckiner Alici, Tarhan Karagoz, Murat Kilic, Sencan Guleryuz
- Premiere Status: North American Premiere
- Country: Turkey, Bulgaria
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 95 minutes
- Producer: Halil Kardas, Tarik Tufan
- Screenplay: Ercan Kesal, Mahmut Fazil Coskun
- Cinematographers: Krum Rodrigues
- Editors: Cicek Kahraman
- Music: Okan Kaya
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Venice International Film Festival 2018 (Special Jury Prize)
- Filmography: Yozgat Blues (2013); Wrong Rosary (2009)
- Language: Turkish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Heretic Outreach