The Dead Don't Die
Bill Murray, Adam Driver, and Chloë Sevigny star as three small-town cops who must protect Centerville from an incoming horde of the undead in indie auteur Jim Jarmusch's zombie comedy.
Saturday, June 8, 2019
- Purchased Tickets
- Limited Availability
- On Standby
Centerville is a sleepy town in the middle of nowhere, and it goes without saying they haven't dealt with any supernatural forces. Presiding over this peaceful hamlet is police chief Cliff Robertson (Bill Murray) and officers Ronald Peterson (Adam Driver) and Minerva Morrison (Chloë Sevigny), who are thrown for a loop when their local diner is attacked. While examining the victims, Robertson thinks it's the work of a wild animal. But Peterson offers an alternative hypothesis: zombies. Sure enough, he's right; the dead have risen from their graves, are terrorizing citizens, and are revisiting the activities they once enjoyed as living people (such as playing tennis and downing coffee and chardonnay). Armed with machetes and shotguns—and with the assistance of a strange, sword-wielding Scottish mortician (Tilda Swinton, naturally)—Centerville's small police force gets to work on vanquishing this reanimated horde. Indie auteur Jim Jarmusch's film boasts the greatest zombie cast ever disassembled, including Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Caleb Landry Jones, Rosie Perez, RZA, and Selena Gomez, plus rocker Iggy Pop and comedienne Carol Kane as members of the undead and Tom Waits as Hermit Bob.
Indie writer-director Jim Jarmusch has occupied the space between mainstream and arthouse film for decades. Though Jarmusch originally entered Columbia University to become a poet, he transitioned to film at N.Y.U., turning a graduate project into his first feature film Permanent Vacation and entering the spotlight for his second feature Stranger Than Paradise, which won Cannes's Camera d'Or in 1984. With a character-centric, detail-oriented style, Jarmusch often experiments with genre—the Western, the crime drama, the vampire flick—and his films move from the melancholic or introspective to, with The Dead Don't Die, goofy, self-aware comedy. Like his characters, frequently outsiders and non-conformists, Jarmusch's style refuses to be put in a box.
- Director: Jim Jarmusch
- Principal Cast: Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Chloë Sevigny, Tilda Swinton, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Caleb Landry Jones, Rosie Perez, Iggy Pop, Sara Driver, RZA, Carol Kane, Selena Gomez, Tom Waits
- Country: USA
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 104 minutes
- Producer: Joshua Astachan, Carter Logan
- Screenplay: Jim Jarmusch
- Cinematographers: Frederick Elms
- Filmography: Paterson (2016), Only Lovers Left Alive (2013), The Limits of Control (2009), Broken Flowers (2005), Coffee and Cigarettes (2003), Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), Dead Man (1995), Night on Earth (1991), Mystery Train (1989), Down By Law (1986), Stranger Than Paradise (1984), Permanent Vacation (1980)
- Language: English
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Focus Features