When a corrupt politician is made a scapegoat by his fellow colleagues, he must race against time to avoid prison by playing the system, leading to a desperate realization about the corruption he helped maintain, in this pulse-pounding new thriller.
"Glossy with an edge, the movie's design elements riff on the somewhat cold, impersonal stylishness of the wealthy enclaves it's primarily set within."—Variety
Regional politician Manuel Lopez Vidal (Antonio de la Torre, SIFF 2011's The Last Circus, SIFF 2015's Marshland) isn't above slipping his hand into the cookie jar; after all, palm-greasing has given his wife and daughter a better life than they would have otherwise, and corruption is practically a tradition in Spanish politics, leading all the way up to regional president Jose Luis Frias (Jose Maria Pou). But when newly appointed anti-corruption hotshot Alvarado has Vidal arrested on money-laundering and embezzlement charges, the politician quickly realizes his fellow swamp rats have made him their scapegoat, lambasting their colleague before the cameras while continuing their shady dealings. Now persona non grata with nothing left to lose, cornered animal Vidal races to beat them at their own game, sending him on a breathless pursuit and the discovery that corruption goes deeper than he ever thought possible. A superb de la Torre and a dynamic, stylized camera pursues the one who will uncover the greatest criminal plot in Spanish politics, leaving evidence of a corrupt system from the ground up, in this raw, heart-pounding new thriller from writer Isabel Pena and director Rodrigo Sorogoyen (SIFF 2017's May God Save Us).
Rodrigo Sorogoyen is a 37-year-old film director and screenwriter from Madrid, Spain who won the Goya award for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay for The Realm.
Sponsored by 98.9 The Bull, Accion Cultural Española, Honorary Consulate of Spain in Seattle, The Fools, The Tourist Office of Spain
- Original Language Title: El Reino
- Director: Rodrigo Sorogoyen
- Principal Cast: Antonio de la Torre, Monica Lopez, Joseph Maria Pou, Nacho Fresneda, Ana Wagener
- Country: Spain, France
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 121 minutes
- Producer: Gerardo Herrero, Mikel Lejarza, Mercedez Gamero
- Screenplay: Isabel Pena, Rodrigo Sorogoyen
- Cinematographers: Alex De Pablo (A.E.C.)
- Editors: Alberto Del Campo
- Music: Olivier Arson
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Goya Awards 2019 (Best Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Director, Original Screenplay, Original Score, Editing, Sound) ASECAN 2019 (Best Spanish Film, Lead Actor) Cinema Writers Circle Awards Spain 2019 (Best Film, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing) Feroz Awards 2019 (Best Director, Actor in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Screenplay) Fotogramas de Plata 2019 (Best Movie Actor) José María Forqué Awards 2019 (Best Actor) Luxembourg City Film Festival 2019 (Critics Award) Sant Jordi Awards 2019 (Best Spanish Actress, Spanish Actor)
- Filmography: May God Save Us (2016); Stockholm (2013); 8 Dates (2008)
- Language: Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Latido Films