Based on the autobiographical graphic novel by Colombian-Ecuadorian cartoonist Power Paola, this tender and funny animated feature follows a woman—from conception to young adulthood—as she fumbles her way through dysfunctional family life, friendships, new schools, and awkward romances.
Conceived despite her parents' best efforts during a stormy night in Quito, little Paola Gaviria didn't stand much of a chance sandwiched between prickly middle sister Patty, flighty oldest sister Claudia, embittered ex-priest dad Uriel, and fortune-telling mom Hilda. An inquisitive, highly sensitive girl who discovered that drawing her reality helped her understand it, Paola would quickly become her family's beating heart while herself navigating a youth marked by shifting fortunes, divorce, addiction, and home life that would often unravel yet never give in, in this beautifully animated adaptation of the hit graphic novel. Winner of this year's SXSW Audience Award, director Santiago Caicedo weaves a funny, sharp, and tender autobiographical portrait of the shifting emotional sands between sisters, parents, mothers, and their daughters. The latest in a bold and exciting new wave of Latin American animation, Virus Tropical's simple and direct style breathes life into a tale that moves to the rhythms of real life, relatable to anyone who's fought to find themselves within the din of a troubled yet loving family.
Santiago Caicedo (1976) is a Colombian artist and filmmaker. His work, difficult to label, revolves around motion graphics, animation, stereoscopy, video art, and film. His short films have participated in numerous festivals around the world, including Annecy, Clermont-Ferrand and SIGGRAPH, and have received many international awards. Caicedo's work enhances graphics and fantasy in a unique style where he vanishes all references to common times or places and takes us away on trips to strange worlds.
Sponsored by The Art Institute of Seattle
- Director: Santiago Caicedo
- Principal Cast: VOICES: Alejandra Borrero, Maria Cecilia Sanchez, Martina Toro, Diego Leon Hoyos, Mara Gutierrez
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Colombia, Ecuador
- Year: 2017
- Running Time: 96 minutes
- Producer: Carolina Barrera, Nidia Santiago, Edwina Liard
- Screenplay: Enrique Lozano
- Cinematographers: David Restrepo, Manuel D’Macedo, Felipe Sanin, Carolina Gomez, Jorge L. Barragan, German Fuquene
- Editors: Simon Hernadez, Jorge Vallejo
- Music: Adriana Garcia Galan
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: SXSW 2018 (Audience Award)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Stray Dogs