When it Melts
Actress Veerle Baetens (SIFF 2013’s The Broken Circle Breakdown) makes her directorial debut with this dark, uncompromising tale about the destructive ripples of trauma, as adult Eva returns to her hometown to confront the perpetrators of a sexual assault from her youth.
*Restricted to audiences in WA State.
Veerle Baetens directs Rosa Marchant in one of the most astounding child performances ever seen. She plays young Eva, a tomboy from a dysfunctional family who is just beginning to feel the flickers of a preteen crush. Her closest playmates are slightly older boys who are exploring their own hormone-fueled curiosities but to Eva's chagrin, their gaze is on more-developed girls. In order to stay in her playmates' favor, Eva makes herself an indispensable part of the boys' schemes to lure older girls into a sexualized game of truth or dare. Her critical role is the key and the lock as the sole holder of the riddle from which the film's title is based. When it Melts is not for the faint of heart. Devastating from the start, this emotional stunner slowly unravels what happens when a child seeks love and acceptance from those ill-equipped to give it to her and is failed by the adults who can. (Note: this film includes a scene of sexual violence perpetrated on a preteen girl.)
- Original Language Title: Het Smelt
- Director: Veerle Baetens
- Principal Cast: Rosa Marchant, Charlotte de Bruyne, Amber Metdepenningen, Matthijs Meertens, Anthony Vyt
- Country: Belgium, Netherlands
- Year: 2023
- Running Time: 111 min.
- Producer: Bart Van Langendonck
- Screenplay: Veerle Baetens, Maarten Loix
- Cinematographers: Frederic Van Zandycke
- Editors: Thomas Pooters
- Music: Bjorn Eriksson
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Sundance Film Festival 2023 (World Cinema Dramatic Special Jury Award for Best Performance)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Flemish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- International Sales: The Party Film Sales