Join two young men, 12 and almost 15, as they cross a chilly Czech Republic in a stolen Audi in this seriocomic and surprisingly warm road-trip movie.
Two boys go on a road trip looking for adventure in Prague-based Slovenian filmmaker Olmo Omerzu's third feature film. Fourteen-year-old Mara stole a car, and his friend, chubby 12-year-old Hedus, dressed in shaggy camouflage, is happy to be joyriding through the wintry landscapes with him. Among their misadventures, they pick up Bara, a hitchhiking girl, and drive the dramatic back roads of northern Bohemia. They are kids acting like kids, but reality is close behind. Director Omerzu, whose Family Film (with its heroic dog), screened at SIFF 2015, gives us another character-driven film about two mischievous boys who act boldly—but what's really going on inside their adolescent heads? Typically, they want to be independent without really knowing what that means. However, director Omerzu keeps a light touch until weaknesses are exposed, when he quickly hands us back the humor and pain of growing up. Woven into the narrative is Mara's bogus reports of his escapades to a clever, tough, and patient policewoman. The vivid colors of back roads and frosty landscapes, and convincing acting from nonprofessional actors (a known talent of Omerzu's), makes Winter Flies more than just an adolescent adventure.
Olmo Omerzu was born in Yugoslavia in 1984 and studied at the FAMU (Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts) in Prague. He directed his first short feature, produced by RTV Slovenia, at age 13-a story about a boy, a war refugee from Bosnia, adopted by a Slovenian family which turns out to be of vampire descent. His previous film, Family Film, played SIFF 2016.
Sponsored by Katherine and David DeBruyn, Sound Publishing Eastside
- Original Language Title: Vsechno bude
- Director: Olmo Omerzu
- Principal Cast: Tomaš Mrvik, Jan František Uher, Eliška Krenkova, Lenka Vlasakova, Martin Pechlat
- Country: Czech Republic
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 85 minutes
- Producer: Jiri Konecnu
- Screenplay: Petr Pucha
- Cinematographers: Lukaš Milota
- Editors: Jana Vlckova
- Music: Šimon Holu, Monika Midriakova, Pawel Szamburski
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Karlovy Vary Film Festival 2018 (Best Director) Slovene Film Festival, 2018 (Vesna Best Minority Coproductions) Oscars 2019 (Foreign Language Film - Official Selection)
- Filmography: Family Film (2015); A Night Too Young (2012)
- Language: Czech
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Cercamon