Won't You Be My Neighbor?
Oscar®-winning director Morgan Neville (20 Feet from Stardom) presents the heartwarming life of Fred Rogers, whose cherished PBS series used cardigans, puppets, and the Neighborhood of Make-Believe to imaginatively and compassionately inspire children, while not shying away from complicated issues.
After half of a century on television sharing countless teachings of love and kindness, Fred Rogers remains a cultural icon and the personification of nostalgia. Among the list of his many identities as a husband, father, educator, minister, and musician, also lies innovator. "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" redefined children's programming by unabashedly addressing social issues like equity, race relations, disability, divorce, and mental health using puppetry and songs to translate powerful messages that remain relevant to people of all ages. Oscar®-winning director Morgan Neville's documentary reflects Rogers' unyielding purity and imagination, and through archival footage paints a more complete portrait than the public has ever seen on their television screens. Teased as a child for his weight, Rogers became a man with zero tolerance for cruelty of any kind, and gained a shameless confidence that was perpetuated through being transparent and unapologetic about his flaws. His famous tenet that everyone should be loved and respected for their authentic selves is the center of Neville's film, as audiences are made to truly question if they are fulfilling the admirable vision of the American legend and being the best neighbor they can be.
Beginning his career as a journalist for publications such as The Nation and Pacific News Service, Morgan Neville moved to documentary filmmaking in 1993. He founded Tremolo Productions in 1999, which he continues to manage. Premiering at the Sundance Film Festival, Neville's 2013 documentary 20 Feet from Stardom received universal critical acclaim and went on to win the Academy Award® for Best Documentary.
Sponsored by KCTS 9
- Director: Morgan Neville
- Principal Cast: Fred Rogers
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: USA
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 93 minutes
- Producer: Caryn Capotosto, Nicholas Ma
- Cinematographers: Graham Willoughby
- Editors: Jeff Malmberg, Aaron Wickenden
- Music: Jonathan Kirkscey
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Keith Richards: Under the Influence (2015); The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble (2015); Best of Enemies (2015); 20 Feet from Stardom (2013); Troubadours (2011); Johnny Cash's America (2008); The Cool School (2008); Shakespeare Was a Big George Jones Fan: 'Cowboy' Jack Clement's Home Movies (2005); Shotgun Freeway: Drives Through Lost L.A. (1995)
- Language: English
- Format: DCP
- US Distributor: Focus Features