The Adventures of Gigi the Law
November 12, 2022
Gigi is a rural traffic officer where nothing ever happens. When a young girl dies (not the first suicide in the town), Gigi starts investigating a strange world, between reality and fantasy, in which a garden is a jungle and where an ever-smiling policeman keeps his heart open to love.
SIFF Year-Round Cinema Passes are not valid for Cinema Italian Style.
Stream on the SIFF Channel.
NOVEMBER 10–17, 2022
Gigi, a good-natured, contemplative policeman in a small village in northern Italy, spends his workdays making inquiries into minor infractions, checking on residents, listening to his car radio, and flirting with a pretty new colleague. Yet even in this uneventful town, there is a dark undercurrent of melancholy, indicated by a wave of recent suicides on the local train tracks. Alessandro Comodin follows his breakthrough shape-shifter Happy Times Will Come Soon with a slippery, often very funny slice-of-life portrait that drifts into occasional glimmers of surreality. Comodin’s brilliantly expressive use of off-screen space unsettles even as it amuses, creating a world whose contours are just barely discernible, whether cloaked in a nighttime thicket of trees or against the bright sun-dappled countryside.
- Original Language Title: Gigi la legge
- Director: Alessandro Comodin
- Principal Cast: Pier Luigi Mecchia, Ester Vergolini, Annalisa Ferrari, Tomaso Cecotto, Massimo Piazza
- Country: Italy, France, Belgium
- Year: 2022
- Running Time: 102 min.
- Producer: Paolo Benzi, Pierre-Olivier Bardet, Alice Lemaire
- Screenplay: Alessandro Comodin
- Cinematographers: Tristan Bordmann
- Editors: João Nicolau
- Website: https://shellacfilms.com/international-sales/gigi-la-legge
- Awards: Locarno Film Festival 2022 (Special Jury Prize), Villa Medici Fim Festival 2022 (Jury Prize)
- Filmography: Happy Times Will Come Soon (2016), Summer of Giacomo (2011)
- Language: Italian, Friulian
- International Sales: Shellac