The Macaluso Sisters
November 4, 2021
Emma Dante’s moving, elegant drama follows the lives of five sisters whose world is turned upside down by a sudden, unexpected, tragedy that tests the bonds of their family.
In-person screening only.
Maria, Pinuccia, Lia, Katia and Antonella are five orphaned sisters living on the top floor of a distressed building in Palermo, making a living by renting the doves they raise in the attic out to weddings and birthdays. When a sudden, catastrophic event upends their lives, they are left grappling with the aftermath, as the delicate balance of their family is tested. Enabled by a remarkable ensemble (who collectively won the Best Actress award at the Venice Film Festival), writer/director Emma Dante brings a perceptive eye to this touching, tempestuous, decade-spanning celebration of sisterhood.
“Dante sets a firm seal upon her cross-disciplinary emergence as a director of unusually vivid empathy.”—Variety
- Original Language Title: Le sorelle Macaluso
- Director: Emma Dante
- Principal Cast: Viola Pusateri, Eleonora De Luca, Simona Malato, Susanna Piraino, Serena Barone
- Premiere Status: Seattle
- Country: Italy
- Year: 2020
- Running Time: 94 min.
- Producer: Marica Stocchi, Giuseppe Battiston, Daniele Di Gennaro
- Screenplay: Emma Dante, Elena Stancanelli, Giorgio Vasta, based on the stage play "Le Sorelle Macaluso" by Emma Dante
- Cinematographers: Gherardo Gossi
- Editors: Benni Atria
- Awards: Venice International Film Festival 2020 (Best Actress [awarded to the ensemble cast playing the sisters])
- Filmography: A Street in Palermo (2013)
- Language: Italian
- US Distributor: Glass Half Full Media
- International Sales: Charades