October 1, 2021
Flee tells the story of Amin Nawabi as he grapples with a painful secret he has kept hidden for 20 years, one that threatens to derail the life he has built for himself and his soon to be husband. Recounted mostly through animation to director Jonas Poher Rasmussen, he tells for the first time the story of his extraordinary journey as a child refugee from Afghanistan.
Friday, October 1, 2021
IN-PERSON SCREENING ONLY
An Afghan refugee agrees to tell a remarkable personal narrative of persecution and escape on the condition that his identity not be revealed. As a means of fulfilling that wish, his filmmaker friend uses striking animation to not only protect this young man but also enhance his tale, bending time and memory to recount a visceral, poetic, and death-defying journey dictated by deception, loneliness, and a relentless will to survive. The result is Flee, a film unbound by documentary constraints and swept up in an astonishing array of archive footage, ’80s pop music, and hand-drawn craft that brings audiences directly into the experience of a teen fleeing multiple countries—and the psychological impact on how he loves, trusts, and understands his burgeoning identity. Jonas Poher Rasmussen’s film is a triumph of storytelling and filmmaking ingenuity, but its greatest asset is the empathy and trust Rasmussen forms with the film’s protagonist, whose clarity and vulnerability grant us access to a unique refugee tale.
- Director: Jonas Poher Rasmussen
- Country: Denmark, France/Sweden/Norway
- Year: 2021
- Running Time: 90 min.
- Producer: Riz Ahmed, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Monica Hellström, Signe Byrge Sørensen
- Screenplay: Jonas Poher Rasmussen
- Editors: Janus Billeskov Jansen
- Music: Uno Helmersson
- Awards: Sundance Film Festival 2021 (World Cinema Grand Jury Prize: Documentary), Annecy 2021 (Best Feature Film), Goteborg Film Festival 2021 (Best Nordic Feature)
- Filmography: What He Did (2015), Searching for Bill (2012)
- Language: Danish, English
- US Distributor: NEON
- International Sales: Cinephil