February 11, 2022
Based on an Ernest Hemingway short story, this classic noir uses flashbacks to tell the story of a ex-boxer named The Swede, and how love and betrayal destroyed his will to live.
SIFF year-round passes and vouchers are not valid for Noir City screenings.
This film has been called the Citizen Kane of film noir. It’s all here: murder, betrayal, lust, flashbacks, sumptuous visuals, double- and triple-crosses, whipcrack dialogue... and sexy young Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner, erupting into stardom.
(Note courtesy of Noir City.)
- Director: Robert Siodmak
- Principal Cast: Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, Sam Levene
- Country: USA
- Year: 1946
- Running Time: 103 min.
- Producer: Mark Hellinger
- Screenplay: Anthony Veiller
- Cinematographers: Elwood Bredell
- Editors: Arthur Hilton
- Music: Miklós Rózsa
- Language: English
- Format: DCP (4K Restoration)
- US Distributor: Universal Repertory