June 24 - 26, 2022
An all-star cast dazzles in the spectacular and exhilarating new film by Xavier Giannoli (The Singer, Marguerite), an adaptation of Balzac’s classic novel about a young idealist who learns that anything can be bought and sold. Winner of 7 César Awards including Best Film.
Lucien de Rubempré (Benjamin Voisin) is an ambitious and unknown aspiring poet in 19th century France. He leaves his provincial town, arriving in Paris on the arm of his admirer, Louise de Bargeton (Cécile de France). Outmatched in elite circles, Lucien’s naive etiquette prompts Louise to retreat back to her husband, leaving the young poet to forge a new path. Lucien makes a new friend in another young writer, Etienne Lousteau (Vincent Lacoste), who introduces him to the business of journalism where a salon of wordsmiths and wunderkinds make or break the reputations of actors and artists with insouciant impunity. Lucien agrees to write rave reviews for bribes, achieving material success at the expense of his conscience and soon discovers that the written word can be an instrument of both beauty and deceit. Xavier Giannoli’s sumptuous adaptation of Honoré de Balzac’s epic novel, Lost Illusions is a ravishing vision of the birth of modern media.
- Director: Xavier Giannoli
- Principal Cast: Benjamin Voisin, Xavier Dolan, Cecile de France, Vincent Lacoste, Gerard Depardieu, Jeanne Balibar
- Country: France
- Year: 2021
- Running Time: 150 min.
- Screenplay: Xavier Giannoli, Jacques Fieschi, from the novel by Honoré de Balzac
- Cinematographers: Christophe Beaucarne
- Editors: Cyril Nakache
- Awards: César Awards 2022 (Best Film, Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actor, Cinematography)
- Language: French
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- US Distributor: Music Box Films
- International Sales: Gaumont