My Little Sister
January 22 - February 25, 2021
Switzerland’s Oscar submission. Nina Hoss and Lars Eidinger ground this story of a playwright with writer’s block who cares for her terminally ill brother while dealing with her own marital issues in this touching and compassionate tale of family bonds.
Lisa (Nina Hoss), once a brilliant playwright, no longer writes. She lives with her family in Switzerland, but her heart remains in Berlin, beating in time with that of her twin brother Sven, the famous theatre actor (Lars Eidinger). Since Sven has been suffering from an aggressive type of leukaemia, the relationship between them has become even closer. Lisa does not want to accept this blow of fate, she does everything in her power to bring Sven back on stage. For her soulmate she neglects everything else and even risks losing her husband. Her marriage goes awry, but Lisa only has eyes for her brother, who reflects her deepest longings and awakens in her the desire to be creative, to feel alive again.
"My Little Sister is an affecting, emotionally truthful experience.... [Nina Hoss] delivers a raw, compelling, performance...."—Lee Marshall, Screen Daily
"This is a quietly stunning film that strikes chords of emotional truth, lingering long after viewing."—Josephina A., One Room with a View
- Original Language Title: Schwesterlein
- Director: Stéphanie Chuat, Véronique Reymond
- Principal Cast: Nina Hoss, Lars Eidinger, Marthe Keller, Jens Albinus, Thomas Ostermeier
- Country: Switzerland
- Year: 2020
- Running Time: 99 min.
- Producer: Ruth Waldburger
- Screenplay: Stéphanie Chuat, Véronique Reymond
- Cinematographers: Filip Zumbrunn
- Editors: Myriam Rachmuth
- Music: Christian Garcia-Gaucher
- Awards: Official Oscar Submisson 2021 (Best International Film)
- Language: German, French, English
- Has Subtitles: Yes