Never Gonna Snow Again
Now Playing - Sep 30, 2021
With touches of magical realism and moments of sober beauty and subtle humor, the latest from director Malgorzata Szumowska is an alluring, atmospheric tale—a genre-defying meditation on class, immigration, and global warming.
On a gray, foggy morning outside a large Polish city, a masseur from the East named Zhenia (Alec Utgoff) enters the lives of the wealthy residents of a gated community. With his hypnotic presence and quasi-magical abilities, he is able to get a residence permit and starts plying his trade. The well-to-do residents in their cookie-cutter suburban homes seemingly have it all, but they all suffer from an inner sadness, some unexplained longing. The attractive and mysterious newcomer's hands heal, and Zhenia’s eyes seem to penetrate their souls. To them, his Russian accent sounds like a song from the past, a memory of simpler times.
“Somewhere between Twin Peaks and Pasolini’s Teorema."—Jonathan Romney, Screen Daily
"Dreamlike and unnerving. A hypnotic viewing experience that awakens all senses through our eyes."—Carlos Aguilar, The Playlist
- Original Language Title: Sniegu juz nigdy nie bedzie
- Director: Małgorzata Szumowska, Michał Englert
- Principal Cast: Alec Utgoff, Maja Ostaszewska, Agata Kulesza, Weronika Rosati, Katarzyna Figura, Andrzej Chyra
- Country: Poland, Germany
- Year: 2020
- Running Time: 113 min.
- Producer: Agnieszka Wasiak, Mariusz Wlodarski, Malgorzata Szumowska, Michal Englert, Viola Fugen, Michael Weber
- Screenplay: Michal Englert, Malgorzata Szumowska
- Cinematographers: Michal Englert
- Editors: Jaroslaw Kaminski, Agata Cierniak
- Awards: Official Oscar Submission 2021 (Best International Film)
- Language: Polish, Russian, French & Vietnamese
- Has Subtitles: Yes